Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All righty, I have some problems.
My fish, especially my white clouds, gills are really really red. Some have been rubbing thier gills agaisnt the gravel on occasion, but almost all are rather lethargic than they were before. I'm not sure what's their normal resperiation rate either, but their gills are pumping furiously. LFS said septecmia is the problem. Is that right?
I've got Maracide and Furacyn, what to use?
Also, should I add salt to the water as that's supposed to help the fish.
Problem with all these is my plants and the snails (ramshorn, MTS) and shrimp (ghost and red cherries). Will these be affected?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pH 8.1
Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 (eek, time for a WC i guess but i just did one yesterday)
kh 13
gh 6.7

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No sign of any parasite or anything. I would hope o2 level is ok, using a Penguin 170 HOB and an aquaclear 20 powerhead for added circulation/aeration.

But...it almost looks shiny on the gills. But only on the gills, no where else on the fish. Lil hard to get a good look, they're lethargic except when i'm trying to check them out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tap water is that high, PA well water =( will the Melafix or Pimafix affect the snails or shrimp?

PS Nitrate is 20 ppm out of the tap

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Therein lies part of the problem Jan, my water.
First off is that out of tap, the nitrates are already at 20 ppm.
And as Phillyman pointed out, at my pH (8.1) even the tiniest bit of ammonia can be lethal.
I have an Aquarium Pharm. Tap Water Filter, which will filter out just about anything from the water, giving me water with 6.4 pH, 0 kH or gH and 0 nitrates.
I plan on cutting the water I use for water changes about 50% filtered water, 50% tap water. Assuming the kH and gH of the tap water is cut in half by this, the water will be 9.5 kH and 3.35 gH, with 10 ppm nitrates which the plants should be able to soak up. No idea what the pH will be in this mix yet.
Question is, how do I phase this new water in and slowly change the pH of the tank? Start at a higher tap water/filtered water ratio and work down to 50/50?
Also, the filtered water can be used as top off water during the week with no problem yes?
hmm...this might deserve a new thread by itself ;) Thanks for the help so far everyone

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I transferred my frogs (which have been moved to a different tank now) to the tank from their 2 gallon, all the gravel came with to help seed the bacteria. That tank had been running for since August, and this one has been running since Oct-Nov, can't remember ;) I originally dosed with stress zyme, their bacteria formula. Currently using Seachem's Stability instead.
I would hope the tank is able to deal with any ammonia after all this ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.