Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this whole dosing micro nutrients has me confused.

I have a 60 gallon tank with 1.3 watts/gallon T5 lighting with 2 anubias, 2 Java ferns, 2 Cryto Pondterfolia, and 2 hyrgophila difformis.

I'm going low tech, el natural, no co2 but was going to dose micronutrients only. I have a pound of CSM+B. How should I dose this?

I had one person tell me to make 1 gram per 250 ml of water then dose 5 ml solution per 20 gallons in the tank 3x's per week. This would take 5.5 weeks to empty that initial solution and I wouldn't use up my CSM for approximately 48 years which seems, I don't know, a bit on the minimal side to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
well I am no expert , but I do know that you should not be looking at how much you will have and how long it will last ....

think about the tank . what does it need. try the solution you have, and see' are the plants responding ? You can always add more' thats easy . if I may ask, why are you not dosing macros ? I understand you are staying low tech, and you really do not have that many plants, maybye you should get more, they will grow when you start dosing , do you have a pic of your tank > ?

But yes 1 gram per 250 ML does seem a little low. do a search for the csm&b, I saw one somewhere and I did A 500 ML bottle with 2 tablespoons of CSM&B> I dose this every other day , and I think I dose abotu 5 ML . this may be strong, as I metioned I am NO expert . I have searched every board , all my forums, *( I have 5 or more ) and I am looking for someone with a gram scale to help me get some correct measurements to use PPS PRO >

off of me . ~ OK, I am just wondering what are your benefits with using micros , and No macros ???

what is your lighting , again , I would love to see a pic. ~~~ hope you get the right help . sorry I dont know more. I am trying to learn more as well ......... lol

·
Registered
697 Posts
dosages are usually 1ml/10 gallons every day if you're following the PPS fertilzing method. so you would be dosing 6ml each day.

the 3x's per week is more for the EI method, but the dosage is usually higher and would require the "resetting" of your tank with weekly water changes.

so if you are following the PPS method, you are correct, your CSM+B will last for quite a while.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not dosing macros because I was told I didn't need to with the El natural method but that dosing micros would benefit the plants.

I may add more plants but my plan has never been to have a "planted tank". Just a fish tank with plants in it so I'm not going into this too gung ho :D

My lighting I listed in the initial post, about 1.3 w/gallon T5 lights. I can't remember the lights off hand but I think one is a 6700K Life something or other and the other is a 10000K something.

·
Banned
732 Posts
I had one person tell me to make 1 gram per 250 ml of water then dose 5 ml solution per 20 gallons in the tank 3x's per week. This would take 5.5 weeks to empty that initial solution and I wouldn't use up my CSM for approximately 48 years which seems, I don't know, a bit on the minimal side to me.
I don't know who told you this but the normal dosage is:

80 grams in 1000 ml of water.
Use 1 ml for each 10 gal of tank every day. In your case this would be 6 ml per day.
This is 0.48 grams of fertilizer per day. So:
454 grams / .48 / 365 = 2.59 years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts