Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much else is planned immediately. The owner of the tank really wants the sharks to grow big, and keeping nitrates down in a shark system is always a challenge. So for now it will stay pretty clean.

In the tank other then the 3 black tips is a Remora, a Pather Grouper, a Bluelined grouper, a Zebra Moray, 3 red squirel fish, 2 Racoon buterflys, 1 Harlequin Tuskfish, and give or take 20 orange striped cardinals, 30 monos and 60 green chromis.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How big are the sharks? They will grow to be how big? What are the dimensions of the tank? Pretty neat to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Able,

THe sharks are roughly 2', they should get double that no problem. The internal dimentions are something like 16'x7'x5'. I forget the exact inches.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Will all three sharks be able to stay in there at their mature size? 4000 gallons is a lot, but the dimensions don't sound that big when your talking 4 foot fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michaels, the only author to put together a decent book on Sharks & rays, would cosider the size of the tank to be over the minimum for the fish. He reccomends a 2450G system, so this is a bit larger. If all goes well, we should be looking at a 15,000G +/- in the next few years. Consider the costs involved. These size tanks get real expensive, real fast.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
That's quite a tank Justin. Do you work for the Vancouver Aquarium or is this a private individual's pet project? I can't imagine having a place to house a tank that size!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Black-tip reef sharks are awesome! They stay quite small, and aren't aggressive..It would be cool to see a ray in there.. :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be cool to see a Ray in there, as well as a large Moray eel. I have not decided weather or not I want to go swimming in thier with either of those occupant however.

The ray I would worry about stepping on when I am trotting around. It's not uncommon to put your foot down unexpectedly or push against the ground when working in there and it's not always possible to check for the Ray before you put your foot/hand down.

And large Morays well they are dumb as bricks and I worry about one of them doing some serious damage with the razors they call teeth. At work we have a Giant Moray that must be over 48" and has tried to bite me before, and I assure you is capable of killing small sharks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Interesting set of photos, certainly wouldn't want to swim in the tank if a ray was buried somewhere. Of course, you guys could remove the stinger.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I actually remember at some park where they mentioned they had the stingers on the rays removed"Just in case". It was a little feeding station with juvie stingrays.

Or perhaps this is one of those bad practices?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be honest with you, this tank uses less power then your average 6' reef tank. So it's a little, but not much. I am sure the hot tub and pool consume exponential amounts more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
well good job, what are your future plans with this tank? will there be aquascaping involved?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The tank was beautifully aquascaped. I spent roughly 8 hours on it. It took the sharks hunting for a fish that hid in the rocks about 10 minutes to destroy most of it. There is no point in aquascaping anymore.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi, Justin, I'm sorry to hear about what happened...8 hours is a long time to get erased by them sharks. So are the rest of the fish there as sharkfood?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts