Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im Justin. New here, got a couple questions.

I have a 20g tank, and would like to eventually plant it. I want something simple, I'm not real good at this terminology, so speak english! :lol:

Im thinking of starting out simple i really like this, its simple. :D

I would like to add a log.

Right now, at the moment, i have a brand new AquaClear 200 spill filter, along with a AquaClear Powerhead 201 undergravel filter.

Can i use both of these with the plants? Can I use undergravel filters with plants?

What plant is that in the picture? What will i need to make my tank look like that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
That plant is glosso, short for Glossostigma elatinoides. It is not a difficult plant to grow. It requires about 2 wpg and CO2 of 15 ppm to grow flat, as seen in your reference photo. Given optimum conditions a tank similar to your photo would require replanting every six weeks or so. I've grown it in old fashioned aquarium gravel without any problems but think an undergravel filter would be less effective. A fancy substrate shouldn't be needed. I like to plant 3 leaf node growing tips with a tweezers and find it grows in the direction pointed until it meets an obstruction. If you plant the perimeter of your designated lawn with all the tips pointing inward the plants will fill in very evenly.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Glossostigma is really not a very difficult plant to grow (Jeff outlined its care and planting very well).

However, I am not sure what you mean by simple? Although the plant choice in this tank is only one species, this traditional iwagumi rock arrangement does take a little research and skill to do.

I am not an expert in iwagumi rock arrangement, however. I am working on trying to get an article on this subject from someone else.

Keep up updated!

Carlos

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wouldn't use an undergravel filter. Some plants in certain situations get their nutrients from the substrate. Water flowing through the substrate will not promote this very well.

Also, a mechanical issue that arises with a UGF is the fact that oftentimes plants will send their roots down below the plate. This makes it difficult to uproot and replant without making a mess, and you might eventually get dead root matter clogging your powerheads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts