Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Adam. I live in Murfreesboro, TN USA which is about 20 minutes South of Nashville. I just got into the fish hobby in May of '08. My youngest daughter brought home 3 guppies from her classroom fish tank and told us we had to give them a home. So lots of money and 4 tanks later here I am! LOL! I love freshwater aquariums and I really enjoy the look of a planted tank. I just set up a DIY CO2 system on my 10 gallon tank today so I'm very excited about that. I noticed that most of the users here choose to use the scientific name of the plants which makes it a bit harder to know what they are talking about but there's a learning curve I guess. I'll get use to that lingo soon enough. Anyway, that's all for now!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
:welcome: I know where Murfreesburo is. I used to live in Portland. It's beautiful country.

Guess you know you are now infected with the aquatic bug. It's all downhill from here! LOL

One of the reasons to use the Latin names of the plants is that the common names can refer to different plants in different areas. By using the Latin names we all know what we're talking about, even from country to country. I keep a pictoral reference of each plant I have. It has helped me learn the names, besides keeping track of what I have.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Adam. Like you I got into this hobby by getting a fish tank for my daughter and wanted to make the environment better for the fish which brought me to planted tanks. Now I'm hooked. :cool:

I've learnt so much from this forum members, it's unbelievable. I love this forum.

Welcome again.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hello Adam... Welcome to APC :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone! I'm learning so much from this forum it's awesome. I'm still a bit confused when I read the PPS fert method but I guess that's because I don't have a KH or Ca test kit. Thanks again everyone. I look forward to learing a lot and having beautiful tanks!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome Adam! You sure did get bit by the bug for a few little guppies, didn't you? LOL!

If you're unsure about a scientific name, you can look it up in our Plant Finder to get a better idea.
Plant Finder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts