Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm just getting into planted aquariums, and I was wondering if I could join your club =P
Also, I'm looking for some nice foreground plants for my first planted tank(a 10gal) I really like riccia sp. dwarf, and riccia fluitans if anyone has some they want to sell =)

-Ken

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hey Kingken, welcome to APC! And should I also say welcome to CAPE (Connecticut Aquatic Plant Enthusiast)... Definitely you can join the club, and if you want more information, you can PM Zapins here on APC and send him your email address so you'll get his future announcements/communications... We're going to have another plant club meet this month (not sure of the date and place) so hope to see you there!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Hey, I can't remember if you contacted me or not? I don't think I've seen you at the meetings yet, but if you are still interested you should let me know! The next meeting is going to be a blast!

·
Registered
219 Posts
KingKen,
I have plenty of riccia (I hate this weed). In fact I just threw away a volley ball sized chunk this weekend. They are near impossible to get rid once establish in your tank. So let me know if you're still interested, I am sure I'll have another volley ball sized chunk soon.

-Riverboa

·
Registered
219 Posts
Michael, I am not sure which version I have, likely fluittans. It's free if you want them. I'll bring some with me for the meet.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ooh plant trade/swap, I likes! Michael, please bring some Elatine Triandra if you have some to spare... Will follow-up next week if I'm good to go in the meet :)... I'd like to add that plant to my 37gal setup (on the works)... Anybody else want something???

·
Registered
219 Posts
Khanzer,
I would like to try new mosses if you have them. I have java, fissidens and taiwan moss.

I have also been looking for some bolbitis.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't have it no more, I just gave away my last moss from the plant package I sold... Although Michael can hook you up as he got 5 diff varieties of it (I only remember weeping and xmas out of 5) :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I've got some flame moss (and taiwan and java, lol), and maybe a little starter portion of fissidens if anyone wants those. Also have an unknown warm-water moss that sort of just showed up one day on my 29gal's driftwood. Seems to be a true aquatic, though. I can spare a sprig or two if anyone wants to try it. Also, if it turns out to be a new species, we're so calling it "Awesome Moss" :mrgreen: (those of you who were at our last meeting should understand that comment :p)

We'll probably collect some willow moss (Fontinalis sp.) along the course of our excursion, as well. It's a coldwater moss, though, so it won't work in discus/angel tanks...

kingken, are you still interested in the Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho' you asked me about awhile ago? My stems have grown out nicely, and I can put them on hold for you for my next trim if you still want them - let me know and I can have them ready for the meeting :D

EDIT:
Before I forget again, does anyone have some spare dry ferts they could bring? I'm particularly looking for CSM+B (trace) and mono potassium phosphate - though others would be appreciated (not too interested in nitrates though, my fish manufacture those :p). Willing to trade plants or some of my larger corkscrew willow branches for them, or even some endler's livebearers, Neolamprologus brichardi (N. pulcher) and/or juvie BN plecos :D

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I'll check and see if I have extras to spare... Are you looking for at about 1/4 cup amounts, right? JK! lol

Will let ya know later...
Well, let's see... between the 12 fish tanks of varying sizes w/varying degrees of plantedness, the outdoor tubs growing plants and mosquitoes, and the 2500-ish gallon pond, a 1/4 cup portion of ferts would last me, oh, maybe a week? :mrgreen: lol, well, not really (I don't fertilize the pond...) I would prefer larger (1/2lb or 1lb) portions, but really, at this point I'll take whatever I can get my hands on. I'm trying to avoid paying through the nose to ship this stuff to my house :p

Thanks a bunch!

BTW, another random thought: would anyone be interested in doing a club-wide wholesale plant/fish order to save $? I know most wholesalers have like a $200 order minimum, which is to say the least rather expensive, but I figure if we all pool together and order a few things each, we can get whatever we're looking for, and cheaply. Any interest?

·
Registered
894 Posts
BTW, another random thought: would anyone be interested in doing a club-wide wholesale plant/fish order to save $? I know most wholesalers have like a $200 order minimum, which is to say the least rather expensive, but I figure if we all pool together and order a few things each, we can get whatever we're looking for, and cheaply. Any interest?
Oh yeah, I'm interested... Bulk ordering like ferts, plants and fish will save us not only shipping cost but also the cost of item/s we're going to purchase... For fish order, count me in for some Green Neon Tetras :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm interested... Bulk ordering like ferts, plants and fish will save us not only shipping cost but also the cost of item/s we're going to purchase... For fish order, count me in for some Green Neon Tetras :)
Do you know of any distributors that have those? I'm looking through lists at the moment, and I'm not seeing green neons anywhere...

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Darn... still looking, can't find those green neons. TFD has green fire tetras on their stocklist, though, for $1.25 ea. And regular neons for $0.45, which I just might be interested in.... but really, I'm itching to order their sidthimunki loaches at $5 apiece. And maybe some of the Botia striata (zebra loaches) as well...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would love some riccia! I haven't got much for plants, but I will bring a small portion of one of the plants i collected that I think is very cool, and possibly some small stems of what I think is a type of ludwigia. I look forward to meeting everyone!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do you know of any distributors that have those? I'm looking through lists at the moment, and I'm not seeing green neons anywhere...
I only know 2, a guy from aquabid and last time I checked, he's selling them for $2/fish or 10 for $15 but he's not offering any discounts for bulk orders :/... The other one is A. Basement and their pricing: $2/fish, $10/6 and $18/12 though I haven't checked if they give discounts to bulk orders... Will prolly send them an email :)

RE: ferts, I checked last night and only have CaSO4 that I could spare... Are you looking for that as well?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I only know 2, a guy from aquabid and last time I checked, he's selling them for $2/fish or 10 for $15 but he's not offering any discounts for bulk orders :/... The other one is A. Basement and their pricing: $2/fish, $10/6 and $18/12 though I haven't checked if they give discounts to bulk orders... Will prolly send them an email :)

RE: ferts, I checked last night and only have CaSO4 that I could spare... Are you looking for that as well?
If you can get info for bulk orders from the tetra sellers, bring a printout to the meeting :) I'd like to look into it if they have a wholesale catalog or something. :)

As to the CaSO4, no thanks - my water's hard enough already, lol! :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts