Aquatic Plant Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
There's one I found online, they're just in West Haven http://citychemical.com/index.html... If they can sell ferts to us, we can just do a pick-up :)
Just did a search through their stocklist... they have some common ferts like potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate, but their prices are very high - the 2.5kg (5.5lbs. - i.e. a helluva lot) of MKP is listed at $66.52 - that's $12/lb. - aquariumfertilizer.com offers it for $5/lb, for comparison. Even with shipping from them it's still cheaper.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bummer, that's too much... aquariumfertilizer is the way to go then... And I think they have discounts too like buy 5 get one free ferts...

Anyone knows about getting discounts on bulk orders for Seachem products? Thinking of buying ferts and Excel by the gallons :)

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Well... we might want to try invertzfactory the company is run by APC members and they have some pretty weird and unusual stuff. But its mostly livestock and I don't think they will have ferts there.

I always buy my excel from www.Bigalsonline.com they sell 4 liters for around 36 bucks. Maybe if we got more they'd consider selling it to us at an even cheaper price??

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I wouldn't mind buying a gallon of excel... I get the 2L containers now, but 4L would be even better, especially once I get my fishroom plans up and going :) Maybe if we contact Seachem directly, we can order straight from them for even lower prices?

Livestock-wise, I still kind of like the idea of using TFD... they have really low prices on some of the fish I'd love to get. Check out their stocklist if you like: http://tfdfish.com/ - I have heard they'll sell to hobbyists, too. As long as you meet their $200 min requirement, I don't think they care who you are...

Also: Club meeting this weekend YAY!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Has anyone order to D&T (http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/) before? They're Seachem Fert products are cheaper and they do price matching... I'm thinking of ordering 2L of each of Seachem's fert line :) Will use and do some experiment on my 37gal tank...

And attached is the most current stocklist from the aquabid guy I'm talking about...
I've used most of the Seachem products before, the only ones worth the $ are Excel and maybe Comprehensive. I wouldn't bother with phosphorus (it's just a MKP solution), nitrate, potassium, iron, etc. Trace is useful, too, but most of what's in it can be obtained through cheaper powdered trace ferts.

As for the stocklist, there's some pretty cool stuff on there. If you get something, I wouldn't mind tacking on an order for some of the loaches. Only thing that disappoints me is the price on the sidthimunki... $13/fish is steep...

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I second Amanda's vote for seachem's trace and excel. These are their best products. The trace is really good actually, I had better luck with it then CSM+B.

By the way John are you coming this saturday? I'm trying to get a head count for our underwater sting operation.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
LOL, now it's a sting operation? And here I was thinking it was going to be an illegal trout race gambling ring of some sort. :rolleyes:

My fond use of Flourish Trace is part of the reason why I'm looking for dry ferts, lol. I'm running low and can't be bothered to order more 'cause it gets pricey, so I'm being all opportunistic and whatnot. Excel, though, Excel is worth the shipping fee. My 2L bottle of it is kinda running low, too. Hmm... perhaps I shall just order stuff after all...

And here's my random question for the day: Big Al's sells 2L bottles of Excel for $26.99. It's 4L bottles, however, are $56.99. So why would anyone want to buy the 4L when you could just buy two 2L bottles for $53.98?

·
Registered
219 Posts
A couple of things:
(1) Can I assume that nothing has changed as far as the plan for Saturday? Meeting at 2pm at Asukawashere's place? (I am still having a hard time associating real names to handles)

(2) Regarding ordering fish online. I have good experience ordering from Wetspotcx (aquabid handle - they are actually a fish store in Oregon if I remember correctly). They have very nice selection of nano fishes. Let me forward their stocklist to Mike and ask him to distribute to the rest of you.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
A couple of things:
(1) Can I assume that nothing has changed as far as the plan for Saturday? Meeting at 2pm at Asukawashere's place? (I am still having a hard time associating real names to handles)

(2) Regarding ordering fish online. I have good experience ordering from Wetspotcx (aquabid handle - they are actually a fish store in Oregon if I remember correctly). They have very nice selection of nano fishes. Let me forward their stocklist to Mike and ask him to distribute to the rest of you.
Yep, plans are still the same! We'll all be wandering vaguely into my basement at around 2 (Also, my name is Amanda, but you can call me Asuka if you want - it's an old nickname from high school, as well as how I sign my artwork. It's pronounced a bit like "Oscar" but without the r...)

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that stocklist you have - can you print a copy and bring it to the meeting? :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, I already purchased the small pack (100ml's) of Seachem Fundamentals and Enhancement that's why I was thinking of getting some more by liters... Would like to be purist on my 37gal and try all Seachem line and experiment for 3-5 mos. (or until I ran out)... Just want to see how my plants, especially the hard to keep ones, will do spoiling them with Seachem ferts :)

So anyone would like to jump in on ordering to dtpetsupplies? I might order there this weekend...

By the way John are you coming this saturday? I'm trying to get a head count for our underwater sting operation.
As of today, it's 70%-30%... 70% I'll come on Saturday, just need to confirm with the in-laws if they really want to watch the kid while the wife and I are out having a good time LOL... Will update you on that by tomorrow afternoon...

Soooo, what's the current head count?

Regarding ordering fish online. I have good experience ordering from Wetspotcx
Hey Riverboa, the spreadsheet I attached on post #27 came from Grey... He's also from Wetspotcx...

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I'm not sure what the head count is honestly since most people haven't replied to let me know if they are coming or not. But so far, Collene, Ken, John, Amanda and me are coming. There will probably be a few more stragglers here and there :)

Riverboa are you coming?

And here's my random question for the day: Big Al's sells 2L bottles of Excel for $26.99. It's 4L bottles, however, are $56.99. So why would anyone want to buy the 4L when you could just buy two 2L bottles for $53.98?
I know! I noticed this too and it made no sense to me either. But Big Als occasionally puts excel on sale and the 4 L goes down to the 40$ range.

By the way Wetspotcx sent me an email with their supply list. I can email it around to everyone if people don't already have a copy from Wetspotcx?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Soooo.... I just took a pre-scouting trip to one of my area collecting places. Found some very interesting things....

1. Elatine - I found a bunch of Elatine. Not sure how I missed it before, lol, but it's there.

2. A water snake. Not poisonous, very people-shy, but maybe we'll get to take a peek at him. I <3 snakes :)

3. Some cute little stem plant with reddish, round leaves that I can't ID. We can all squint at it on Saturday and then pick a stem to mail to Cavan when we can't figure it out. :p

4. Some funky possibly-aquatic rosette plant that I like. I have no idea what it is, but it's cool.

5. A bunch of little Sagittaria plantlets that have emersed leaves that made them look oddly like Crypts until I found one with a typical arrowhead leaf.

6. Riccia fluitans. Just a tiny little bit of it, and I have plenty so I didn't grab it, but I didn't even realize Riccia grew around here. o_O' Go figure.

7. Some more random Polygonum stuffs. :)

8. A turtle. Who then promptly slid off his rock and swam away from me, but he was a cool little turtle :)

Anyway. Yeah. John, LMK if you place that order w/ DT - I might get some excel.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
By the way.... I got the right drill bits today to make the correct hole for the propane burner. I fired up the burner and it resembles a jet taking off! Its spectacularly powerful. The flame is blue and hot hot hottt!!!

I'll see if I can get some pics as soon as it gets dark. Just a few days until I fire it up for the first time!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Just a few days until I fire it up for the first time!
Just try not to burn down your house in the process :mrgreen: Would be a shame to lose all those gorgeous planted tanks... :p

Speaking of which, has anyone ever considered getting those little "pet inside" stickers that warn firefighters to try and save your animals, and marking it for "fish" - anyone? :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts