Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Hi from central Texas!

919 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bettascapes 
#1 ·
My Name is Jonathan and we recently purchased our first fish tank.
I'm a bit obsessive so our 1/2 gallon beta tank quickly turned into a a fluval spec V and happily homes 6 neon tetra an adf and a mystery snail. Now that I've seen some of the amazing work ya'll have done I want to give it a try!

Any suggestions on where to start?

Look forward to learning and sharing with ya'll!

Jonathan

#3 ·
One thing that was beneficial to me in the beginning was trying to keep it simple. Then once you get some hands on time keeping plants you can start to branch out.

There is a lot of great looking eye candy on the web. All the pictures of beautiful, "high end" tanks make it tempting to "go all in". However, starting with high light, and high demand plants can be overwhelming to someone starting out.

Are you planning on planting the Fluval Spec tank? If so what kind of substrate do you currently have? Also, I have never seen specific information on how intense the light is for the Fluval Spec system. However, more then likely you will need to stick with low light plants. You can still have a very nice looking tank using mosses, java fern, crypts, and anubias.

As mentioned earlier read over the beginners guides on this forum. Then step back and take some time to decide what kind of system you want. From there you can plan it out. APC is a great source of info, and the people are helpful. Once you work out a plan they will answer any questions you have. Here is one link you might want to check out. Its a very good tutorial on starting on a low tech tank. http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/low-tech-planted-tank-guide/

Good luck, and welcome to APC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.