Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on another forum a lot, but kept finding info on this forum to be helpful, as well. And with so many people mentioning it, it seems this forum is a nice compliment to the other. So here I am!

Hi to all who know me and welcome to those who don't yet.

As far as my tanks go, I have a total of 10 tanks, but I only have 3 active at the moment. All the others are Q/T, H/T and plant holding tanks.

My main tank is my 75g that is high tech with injected CO2, TEK lighting, the whole bit. I'm still learning about planted tanks as I go. I'm terrible at aquascaping with my main attention focused on the fish themselves, but I couldn't imagine not having real plants as I'm also a regular gardener.

I have a bit of experience with most algae by now [smilie=l: but I'm getting better with my plants.

My favorite fish are [I]Pelvicachromis taeniatus[/I] (dwarf cichlids similar to Kribs). I have 5 in my 75g tank with the 'Kienke' doing the best, followed by a pair of 'Moliwe' and one lone male 'Nigerian Red'. Apparently, he didn't like the female I selected for him so he let me know by killing her. I'll have to either find him a mate or trade him in for a pair that's already selected each other.

I also have torpedo barbs, cardinal tetras, a couple of apistos, a very pretty L204 pleco, lots of amanos, a RCS colony, guppies, chain loaches, and more. Not all in my 75g, of course.

Great to be here and I hope to learn from you all. And if at all possible, I hope to earn my keep by helping others when I can. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Howdy and Welcome! It sounds like you've got quite a bit of experience (at least compared to me). You'll probably have many opportunitues to give some great advice and share your experiences.

I just noticed where you are from; I have an Uncle/Aunt that live in Sugarland.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hope that finger is doing better, keep it clean and dry! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave! Small world, isn't it! Nice to meet you, and I'm sure we'll be able to help each other along the way.

Hey hooha! Great to see a familiar face (or should I say ID?)! My finger is doing fine. Just a pain that I can't put it in the water. Still, I'm finding ways to do things with just one hand in the tank. I'll get that tank scaped no matter what! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey there

just talked to the guy, heres his stuff. pm me if you wanna go in on an order with me ;)

http://www.deepforestaquatics.com/aquabid/stocklist_07302008.htm
Looks good! Did you ask him about both, the B. brigittae and the nerites? It would be nice to be able to get both at the same time. It would really save on shipping by splitting it.

Hey, weren't we having this conversation on the other forum? Seems it's jumping around! [smilie=n:

Hi Tex Gal! Nice to see another friendly face here! :D

Nice to meet you, bigstick120. Interesting ID. Remind me to not get you mad! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Bert!

Most of the 10 tanks are smaller. Let's see...

1 — 2.5g
4 — 5g
2 — 10g
1 — 20g
1 — 29g
1 — 75g

11 if you count the tiny 1.5g plastic thing. :)

Basically, I started off small and kept getting larger as I went. The 75g is a good size for me.

I'm thinking of keeping 3-4 active (75g, 29g, 5g and 2.5g). The rest will be torn down and set up only when needed for Q/T or H/T.

What my husband doesn't know is that I'd actually like to switch the 29g for another 75g. But I'm going to sneak that one by setting up the 29g with injected CO2 and all and THEN switching out the tank and stand. My current 75g will go in my bedroom and I'd like the 29g (future 75g) to go in my living room. I have two homes at the moment and will be moving my tanks to my other home in a month or two so my husband and I are sorting out furniture arrangements for my tanks. He's not crazy about it, but he will at least accept it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Vicki,

Nice to see you around here. My Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' just paired up.
I removed the other pairs from their tank. First try with these cichlids.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Welcome to APC :usa2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, so many friends I already know, and some nice new ones, as well. I figured this thread had dropped off already so I wasn't paying attention. Oops! Great to see so many familiar faces on here! Thanks for the welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vicki,

Nice to see you around here. My Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' just paired up.
I removed the other pairs from their tank. First try with these cichlids.
Hey, Pedro! I didn't know you were a moderator here!

Great to hear about your Moliwes. Let me know how they do. My Moliwes are coloring up very nicely so I think they're close to finding a cave of their very own.

My Kienkes lost their first batch which didn't surprise me at all. The dad is an incredible parent, but the mom is a bit amiss. She let her hunger get in the way which left the little ones exposed. I don't know which fish got them, but I could see it coming.

They're back at it now. Mom still steps out too much, I think. I'm about to try to do a new scape (well, the first real scape) which will disturb everyone in the tank, but I think it will help them settle down in the long run. I'm adding a lot of caves in the new scape.

I've decided to put the Nigerian Red male in the 20L for now. With the Moliwes maturing and pairing off, the poor Nigerian Red is becoming homeless in the 75. No one seems to want him, poor guy.

Do you have a thread started about your Moliwes? If so, please give me a link. I'd love to see how they do!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, I hadn't even noticed that. But you're right; 5 mods came by to say Hi. A nice way to feel welcomed to a board. :smile:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, Biscuit... How did I manage to get more plant points when you've posted more posts?

If plant points are given out for verbosity, you know how many I'll end up with! :blah:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We all know just how long winded you can be. :slywink:
Can be? Now that's what I call an understatement! :lol:

Glad you are here. I always enjoy your unique insights.
Thank you! Ditto in return. But let's be careful getting too mushy here! Someone might think we actually like each other! :hug: :shock:

Okay, that's enough fun with smilies! I just have to use some of the new ones that are here!

Seriously, I've missed your posts, as well. Nice to find you here. :smile:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts