Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I look forward to learning more about planted aquariums, I am currently in the process of setting up my first proper home Planted aquarium. (for Discus)

This is what I currently have

3ftx2ftx2ft Tank (rounded corners)
3D Rubber background
Sump system for filtration
PH/ORP controller
CO2 reg etc
Under gravel Heater
8 bank T5 light
Gravel, looking for idea's on substrate (Latrite, Flourite etc)
and a nice hollow piece of drift wood. (trunk)

I will be adding a photo journal and look forward to your comments.

Jamie

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to APC, Jamie.

I joined the forum in August and in about a month and a half have learned a tremendous amount from our friends in this forum.

Have you decided if you're doing a Natural Planted Tank (using soil) or substrate like Flourite and Eco-Complete?

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ravi,

I was going to go a mix of Latrite, Gravel and Flourite?

I have a plenum (I think that is how you spell it)

So I have the under gravel heater, with the plenum on that, followed buy a small layer of gravel.

I was going to add some Latrite to that level then add some more gravel then add a mix of gravel and Flourite as the final level.

I am not sure if this is even right but it seems like a good idea?

Jamie

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome to APC Jamie!

I would ask your substrate question in the substrate forum so you get better coverage and more answers. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks Ravi,

I was going to go a mix of Latrite, Gravel and Flourite?

I have a plenum (I think that is how you spell it)

So I have the under gravel heater, with the plenum on that, followed buy a small layer of gravel.

I was going to add some Latrite to that level then add some more gravel then add a mix of gravel and Flourite as the final level.

I am not sure if this is even right but it seems like a good idea?

Jamie
Hi Jamie,

In one of the tanks, that I have, I'm used a sprinkle of laterite, filled the substrate with Flourite and tipped it off with a 1 cm of 5mm gravel from another tank for beneficial bacteria culture. This is the first time I'm even reading about a plenum. I researched it and now understand the role it plays but am not an expert in that area. I'm mostly focusing my learning on Natural Planted Tanks using soil.

One area that I might be concerned is the use of laterite with an under-gravel heater as the slow current may cloud the tank from laterite. Please make sure that you completely wash the Flourite before you use. Also, make sure that the gravel is high enough for the plants to root themselves well, about 5 cm in the front to about 10 cm in the back of the aquarium.

As for the driftwood, African Mopani wood is very common for aquariums and so is the Malaysian driftwood. You should be able to find a lot of other varieties online and probably locally.

Remember, the first one is the hardest and while going through the process you'll learn a tremendous amount on how you'd want your second layout to be. Check out this website and AGA website for the pictures should you need a kickstart your thought process. Also, check out the 2008 AGA contest winners.

Like JanS said, post these questions in the Substrate category and you may get a better response from the experts. Also, use the title of the thread to give an idea to the folks who browse through the topics. For example, "New Planted Tank - Substrate Question". This may help you obtain a higher response rate.

Good Luck.

regards,
Ravi

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hello Jamie... Welcome to APC :D ... Look forward to reading your upcoming journal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone,

I now have my substrate sorted, just installed my PH CO2 controller and UV sterilizer, getting my filter material in the next couple of days, once that is all sorted I will start taking a few photo's of where I am up too. No water yet.

This forum is helped me so much, I thought I knew a reasonable amount about planted tanks but there is always more to learn.

Thanks Again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts