Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 6.6 I am converting over to a planted tank, unfortunately its a perfectly fitting custom acrylic tank, with acrylic hood and acrylic base that leaves me no real room to get CO2 into the tank without cutting or entirely redoing the hood. The current lighting is 1x 32w PC about 1 1/2" off the top of the water however there are 2 more 32 watt PC in the hood not turned on. I plan on turning one more on once I set up the tank, which will give me ~10wpg PC, if I decide to turn both on I would be running about ~15wpg. I am looking for dense growth and I doubt many plants would be reaching for the light under these conditions. However without Co2 am I just wasting my time? Even if I use Aquasoil and dose plenty of excel and nutrients?

Thanks
Danny

·
Registered
525 Posts
What kind of filtration? if a canister their are plenty of options to get co2 in. Also with acrylic their is ways to drill for plumbing to hide it that makes me envy not having one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its got a false wall that is filtered by a carbon in a low flow chamber and floss in a high flow, powered by a maxi jet 1200. Ventilation is done via fans. The tank was designed to be a nano-reef. I could jerry rig a small airline tubing to feed into the maxijet and then plumb into the tank. I have a smaller rio pump that would make this easier.

The last one is before I removed all the scratches

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
As you say, try to find a way to run a line into the filter somewhere. Barring that, go with Excel. Either way, I wouldn't use the full lighting regimen to start with. Start slowly and build up slowly to see if the system can take it. Remember, it's not only carbon you have to provide but the full line of ferts especially in a high lighting system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The list of ferts I got was KNO3, KH2PO4, excel and flourish to in conjunction with aquasoil. Does this sound about right. Any other products you would add to this list? Do you think excel is a feasible carbon substitute?

·
Registered
11 Posts
if u want co2 u can put a small glass defuser in the rear "sump" just under one of the returning pumps . the co2 defuses in that "chamber" and the pump will "spray" the co2 to the main tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts