Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've heard it said, that high tech tanks require high maintenance. Is this true and if so, what exactly is high maintenance? Is it regular maintence more frequently? I know there will be pruning requirements, but does the tank get "dirtier" faster and require cleaning more often?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Basically high tech tank is a high light tank that requires the addition of C02 & lots of ferts. These to factors causes the plants to grow faster, so frequent pruning is needed. That is where the more maintenance comes in. With a high tech tank there is also less room for error, since changes happen quickly. These changes may take a while to correct for example causing algae issues. Inturn causing more maintenance of the tank.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Because you are always adder ferts and CO2 and supplying high light it costs more as well. Of course the pay off is being able to grow plants that would not grow without these conditions. You will also have many plants to sell to help pay for the additional costs. You really have to stay on top of a high tech tank.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well I've heard it said, that high tech tanks require high maintenance. Is this true and if so, what exactly is high maintenance? Is it regular maintence more frequently? I know there will be pruning requirements, but does the tank get "dirtier" faster and require cleaning more often?
High tech doesn't equal high maintenance. It all depend on what kind of plants you want to use on a scape. To me cleaning, pruning, and doing water change is part of the enjoyment I get out of it. May sound crazy, but hey that just me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you all "enjoy" playing in your tank. What is it that you are doing that you enjoy so much? A lot of cleaning? Because my tank, filter, etc all need cleaning a lot. Like everything in the tank has to be cleaned and the filter removed and cleaned every 2 weeks. And every week, I'm scraping the glass, pruning plants, getting plant debris out of my HK-2. Is this the fun I'm suppose to be having? :confused:

I'm doing the high tek (high light, CO2, & ferts). Plants are definitely growing. They would fill the entire tank in 3 weeks if I let them go. But I still have an excessive amount of "dirt" or algae to clean.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So you all "enjoy" playing in your tank. What is it that you are doing that you enjoy so much? A lot of cleaning? Because my tank, filter, etc all need cleaning a lot. Like everything in the tank has to be cleaned and the filter removed and cleaned every 2 weeks. And every week, I'm scraping the glass, pruning plants, getting plant debris out of my HK-2. Is this the fun I'm suppose to be having? :confused:

I'm doing the high tek (high light, CO2, & ferts). Plants are definitely growing. They would fill the entire tank in 3 weeks if I let them go. But I still have an excessive amount of "dirt" or algae to clean.
Yes, that's the whole process. Matter of preference. If you want your tank to look emaculate then that effort is needed. I myself clean the glass every 1-2 day. A quick scrub with a magnet even though you don't see any algae goes a long way. Don't let algae build up. Water change is done weekly at 1/2. Put on a little music and enjoy. If you find yourself not enjoying the proccess, maybe think what diffenrent kind of plants fit what style you want and go from there. Anubias, fern, moss are just some example of low maintenance to me. Other might think differently. All up to you to decide. good luck with your venture.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, great. I've been having fun all this time and didn't even know it! :hat: So, if this is normal, I can stop trying to solve a problem. This is the way it's suppose to be. Because I've had the impression from others that once I got the CO2/ferts/light all at that magical state of perfection, that the algae problems (ALL problems) would go away and my tank would look like ...like a "Magical state of perfection". But you're saying that the truth is that it only looks like that if I make a constant effort to make it look that way each day. And if I get slack, it can all go to pot real quick.

Is this it?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I enjoy gardening in my aquarium. Just something I miss as I live in an appartment so I get my gardening fix in my tank. A lot of fun, a lot of learning. relaxing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
To me it is all fun. Water changes, planting, replanting, cleaning glass, adding ferts, new equipment, trimming, experimenting, etc. About the only thing I find not fun is fighting bba. Just when I think I win it rears its ugly tuft.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To me it is all fun. Water changes, planting, replanting, cleaning glass, adding ferts, new equipment, trimming, experimenting, etc. About the only thing I find not fun is fighting bba. Just when I think I win it rears its ugly tuft.
I'm not sure I can classify bba. I get small tufts which are very dark (almost black) that will grow on the ends of plants and other objects and also on the tank floor substrate. It is rarely invasive and fairly easy to control. What is enormously invasive are the tufts that grow like grass on the substrate. Green, fairly dense, filaments that will completely blanket the bottom if I let it. Don't know their names yet but I suppose I should get acquainted with it because I'm sure it's here to stay. :Cry:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it might be this one: Cladophora, Blanket Weed.

I'm also getting the powder green alage that grows on the glass walls and surface of everything in the tank. I clean it away and by the end of the week, it's right back.

This is so discouraging. Is it actually possible to have a tank without algae, or does everyone just clean it constantly?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
There is always some little algae somewhere. What I see show up if I have an imbalance is bba. I just spot treat with excell until I have my balance back. I do have GSA a little and I use a magnet on the glass for that.

I had clado once. It's horrid stuff and was very hard for me. I got lots of Amano shrimp from invertzfactory and they ate every little bit of it. They could find each tiny piece which I couldn't. I left them in there until I saw them begin eating my mosses. Then I spread them out in my other tanks and they are part of my clean up crew. You have to overdo it so they can over eat the stuff.

The powder green algae will run it's course and die if you can leave it alone.

Hang in there. Just think how amazingly powerful you will feel when you beat this stuff!!![smilie=k:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts