Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some people over to purchase some fish recently and was asked if my tanks were high tech or low tech, and what style I was following. I said I don't know, I just grow the plants.
SO I am asking how I should describe my planted tanks.
I use high light I guess, 220 watts of VHO on a 75, 110 watts of VHO on a 20,220 watts on a 55, and 110 watts on a 29. Can you tell I got a good deal on VHO ballasts several years back?
I run these tanks bare bottom, I do not fertalize, I do not CO2, no natural light, and poorly made DIY reflectors. I began with plants in the first place as an aid to breeding livebearers, I currently keep Endlers Liverbearers, pet store platys, and X. Montazumae swords. My plants are duckweed, little and big varieties, java moss, water sprite (floating), anacharis (floating and weighed down), water lettuce, and water hyacinth. All grow fast by my standards, except the water hyacinth which barely lives over the winter before I put it back out in the ponds. I have essentially no algae. Tanks have filters of various types. All tanks have livebearers except the 75, it has a large Red Devil, plus floating plants only in his tank. ALl tanks are packed with plants, except the 75. It is the only tank with noticeable algae, furry green on the back, and green spot on the glass. My tanks are somewhat seasonal, as most of the fish go out to my ponds over the summer. All tanks are 50% water change per week.

So what style is this? No style?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
You, sir or madam, are the exception which creates the rule! :) High light, no CO2, no ferts, no algae! You must have really good water, and I assume you feed your fish quite well.

I don't think I'd say you're high tech, since you have no CO2, nor ferts. Whatever you're doing, it's working for you, and that's what counts!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The livebearer tanks are very well fed, usually 3 times a day. I think algae is reduced because the surfaces as usually completely covered with duckweed. So little light makes it to the bottom. And I remove huge wads of duckweed and anacharis daily.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
The livebearer tanks are very well fed, usually 3 times a day. I think algae is reduced because the surfaces as usually completely covered with duckweed. So little light makes it to the bottom. And I remove huge wads of duckweed and anacharis daily.
That's probably the solution to potential algae problems for you. The fish food you feed provides the 'fertilizer' for the plants. The floating duckweed has access to all the CO2 it needs and sucks up vast amounts of nutrients/waste. And by pulling it out, you are removing the excess nutrients/waste from the system and preventing algal outbreaks.

That's very neat that you are able to enjoy a relatively algae-free set-up without extra expenses of ferts and CO2.

-Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts