Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that hornwort will release some compounds that limit algea growth. Anyone know any more details?

I've got 3 otos in my 12 gallon and one stem of hornwort and wanted to add more, but the otos need the algae to eat, so I don't want to stop it all.

Should I remove even the one strand of hornwort?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine always seem alittle plump. I have hornwort, althought it's a species that branches off alot so i plan to get rid of it. I usually just supplement their diet with a algae wafer once a week.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Allelopathy (the inhibition of one plant by another), while believed by some, from what I understand, has not been proven to be a factor in our tanks. IMO, the reason hornwort is considered an 'anti-algal', is because it has such a high growth rate, and will eat up nutrients thereby holding algae at bay. I wouldn't worry about your ottos and having hornwort. They will find food scraping leaves, gravel, glass, etc.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I agree, hornwart is such a fast grower that it helps consume nutrients, I use it in all my newly established tanks. The fact that it floats is another advantage as it can get CO2 form the air allowing it to grow fast even in non CO2 tanks.

As for the ottos, don't rely on algae for their diet, consider it a snack for them and complement their diet with fresh veggies and algae wafers. I place half a cucumber in the tank every couple weeks and they go nuts over it, all the fish do actually.

Giancarlo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts