Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, all! I'm very excited to be here!

I started fish keeping about 6 months ago. I became a member of another forum and have learned a ton about fish keeping (and still have so much more to learn!) Now that I've got the "keeping the fish alive" part down, I want to expand into planted tanks.

I study horticulture at university so I'm really interested in the technical aspects and ecology of a planted tank. I just checked out Diane Walstad's book from the library and for the most part am enjoying it.

I already have a few Amazon sword plants, java fern, java moss, and a couple Anubias nana in my two tanks but I just ordered a light and substrate online and am waiting for them to arrive so I can start setting up my planted tank! After that's set up, I plant on ordering a bunch more to heavily plant the sucker. So I'll be searching around here for suggestions on good places to buy plants!

Right now I have a 10gal and a 29 gal with mostly live bearers, a random school of zebra danios, 1 mystery snail, some tiny snails that hitchhiked in on my java fern (tsk!), a bristlenose pleco and a clown pleco.

Thanks for having me and know that I will be asking MANY questions in the future!

Sam

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey there, I think I'm in about the same boat as you are. I used to keep fish as a kid and it seemed like I could never keep them alive. But about 6 months to a year ago I went to my LFS and got me a 29 gallon tank and now that I have no problem keeping the fish alive I am starting to branch out into different areas of this hobby. I've already got a shrimp tank up and running and a tank with Kribensis and their fry which are 10g and 20g respectively. That leaves me with my 29 gallon tank. I hope to see what you do with your tank. Maybe you can inspire me! All I've got right now are: dwarf hairgrass micro sword, two moss species and a java fern in it right now but that's going to change soon. Good luck with the fish keeping. I can't wait to see what you do with your tank

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Welcome to APC! I got my degree in Horiculture :p and I've found it very helpful in keeping my plants healthy (both in the tank and in the yard) . You'll find this site extremely helpful and informative.

Here is a link (that Niko posted in a Sticky) that will give you some great info to go along with Diane's book:
http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/index.html

-Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome from another fellow horticulture student. My B.S. degree is from Iowa State and I'm currently working on my M.S. degree. I'm currently trying to save the planet by experimenting with bioplastics for nursery and greenhouse pots:)

Planted tanks only seemed natural to me! Good luck and take advantage of this site. The plantedtank.net will also be a lot of help to you. When you go to buy plants there are lots of online dealers but you will also find sellers on this forum and others selling there plants and trimmings for great deals. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the welcome and tips! I haven't had time to soop around to my hearts desire yet because of a botany midterm (parenchyma, parenchyma, parenchyma...) but I look forward to it!

Hey, maybe someone can tell me (with all you hort people), do you know if aquatic plants tend to be C3, C4, or CAM plants? Or is it just random and depends on the species? (I asked on another fish forum and they giggled at me...guess I didn't ask the right audience...)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Thanks all for the welcome and tips! I haven't had time to soop around to my hearts desire yet because of a botany midterm (parenchyma, parenchyma, parenchyma...) but I look forward to it!

Hey, maybe someone can tell me (with all you hort people), do you know if aquatic plants tend to be C3, C4, or CAM plants? Or is it just random and depends on the species? (I asked on another fish forum and they giggled at me...guess I didn't ask the right audience...)

Thanks!
Gee, I have forgotten all about that stuff. I actually had to go back and look it up. I am certain that most are not CAM plants, as the majority put off more CO2 at night than they take it in. Plus, there is ample moisture where these plants are found in nature, so they don't need to shut off during the heat of the day. Most of the plants we deal with are marsh plants with submerged and emerged forms, not sure how that plays in. I'll guess C3. :rolleyes:

-Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Gee, I have forgotten all about that stuff. I actually had to go back and look it up. I am certain that most are not CAM plants, as the majority put off more CO2 at night than they take it in. Plus, there is ample moisture where these plants are found in nature, so they don't need to shut off during the heat of the day. Most of the plants we deal with are marsh plants with submerged and emerged forms, not sure how that plays in. I'll guess C3. :rolleyes:

-Dave
Good Guess;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts