Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, all! I'm very excited to be here!

I started fish keeping about 6 months ago. I became a member of another forum and have learned a ton about fish keeping (and still have so much more to learn!) Now that I've got the "keeping the fish alive" part down, I want to expand into planted tanks.

I study horticulture at university so I'm really interested in the technical aspects and ecology of a planted tank. I just checked out Diane Walstad's book from the library and for the most part am enjoying it.

I already have a few Amazon sword plants, java fern, java moss, and a couple Anubias nana in my two tanks but I just ordered a light and substrate online and am waiting for them to arrive so I can start setting up my planted tank! After that's set up, I plant on ordering a bunch more to heavily plant the sucker. So I'll be searching around here for suggestions on good places to buy plants!

Right now I have a 10gal and a 29 gal with mostly live bearers, a random school of zebra danios, 1 mystery snail, some tiny snails that hitchhiked in on my java fern (tsk!), a bristlenose pleco and a clown pleco.

Thanks for having me and know that I will be asking MANY questions in the future!

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the welcome and tips! I haven't had time to soop around to my hearts desire yet because of a botany midterm (parenchyma, parenchyma, parenchyma...) but I look forward to it!

Hey, maybe someone can tell me (with all you hort people), do you know if aquatic plants tend to be C3, C4, or CAM plants? Or is it just random and depends on the species? (I asked on another fish forum and they giggled at me...guess I didn't ask the right audience...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll guess C3.
That's actually a really good explanation. I didn't even think about that (which is dumb because that's what my question should have prompted me to ask myself.) I'll bet you're right in that they're C3

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts