Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston Plant Fest 2009

I felt the need to make a separate post so it will be easier for everyone to see the details. Below are the informations resulted from today's NASH officers' discussion. The events are planned out so we can maximize the second weekend of April. Note that these activities are more like tentative plans but the dates are pretty much set in stone. This is so folks around the country can start making their plans to come down. So here it goes:​

Date: April 9 to April 12​

Thursday: Welcome visitors and gathering.​

Friday: San Marcos Field Trip.​

Saturday: Tour of Houston's LFS in the morning and presentation at ADG after lunch.​

Sunday: Everyone goes home, hopefully happy and satisified:p

The details. On Thursday, people will be picked up and brought to the hotel. The hotel has an excellent rate of $70 per night and is the nice Crown Plaza situated near the central region of Houston. We will have an informal gathering at a member's place to social and mingle and basically just get to know one another. Then on Friday, we will wake up before dawn(literally) so we can spend a great part of Friday out in San Marcos doing what this trip is all about! Saturday, we will go out in the morning to tour around the aquarium stores around Houston and then head to ADG for some great presentation. Thereafter, we will go to Dan's aquarium store and have some awesome home-style barbecue for dinner! Sunday, hopefully people will have rested well and be yearning to go back home to their loving families;) Thus, that concludes the '09 Fest and hopefully we will be able to do one every other year!​

In this event, we sincerely ask visitors to pay a registration fee of $15 and this is to help us cover the rental fee of vans and other amenities. For the most part, though, the activities and events will be pretty much supported and covered by NASH.​

If you have any questions, please feel free to direct them to any of NASH officers: Kevin, Luis, Thanh, and Paul by means of PM or e-mail.​

***Officers, if the any of the above info is inaccurate or need to be changed, please let me know so I can go and edit the original post without adding clutters.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
You might want to post in this thread how to pay the registration fee of $15. Also, by what date do you need to know who is coming for this registration?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good points and indeed you are right! My fiance reminded me the very same issues as well. And we will address all that ASAP; no later than next week. This post is merely to let people know that the dates have been set in stone and will not change. But yes, once the officers have convened with all the fine details, I will make the updates in the original post:p

So once again, the fest will be on the Second Weekend of April.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Got it marked on the calander. Can't wait to hang out with fellow hobbiests and enthusiasts this Spring!

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Fly into Hobby?

Houston apparently has more than one airport?
Houston Hobby Airport is on the "SouthSide".
Bush Intercontinental Airport is on the "North".

-Dave

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes
Houston has two Major airports as listed by Dave. Hobby is mostly there for Southwest, whereas Intercontinental is for is for Continental. Of coarse other air carriers fly in and out of these two airports but that can give you a idea of why the division and which one to fly into. Also Houston is big so two airports help out in that aspect as well.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Which airport do we want to fly into though? Does it make a difference?

·
Registered
830 Posts
No difference, Intercontinental is North Houston and Hobby is South Houston. The hotel and most of what we are doing is central Houston. So which every is easiest (or cheapest) for you. The Hobby airport is a little closer to the hotel.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Folks,

I'm still trying to figure out the schedule to see if I can make it.

In the event everything works out, what are the items that I should bring like Stockingfoot Waders or anything else to take advantage of the field trip?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi Ravi, Definitely try to make it for the Plantfest. You won't regret it. Yes Waders will help I used it last time for our Houston collection trip. If you like to snorkel that is an option at San Marcos.So get your snorkelling gear.
Thanks
Bhushan

·
Registered
733 Posts
Absolutely will try to make it. Trying to work out my schedule with my daughter's and my wife's.

Thank you for the details.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts