Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put together another planted tank.

I have the space for anything from a 75 gallon up to a 180.

My question is how big can I go and still run what I call a simple setup: 2 canister filters, etc. I don't want to jump up and have to drill the tank, plumb fixtures, etc - way, way over my head.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you have room and money for it, go as big as you can! I saved up for a while and bought a 110 gallon. My only regret is that I didn't save money just a little longer and get something bigger! You don't have to drill the tank or plumb in a sump, but you will want to make sure you have good water movement and no stagnant/ dead spots.

Look through the DIY threads and big aquarium sections, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and people have setup large aquariums in a variety ways. Consider your goals and plants/ fish that you want to keep, and most likely someone has already setup a system that will work for you also.

Good luck, and go BIG!:bathbaby:

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Don't forget that big tanks are very heavy, so where you first put them is where they stay. They require much longer to do water changes unless you use a good "python" type system, or much better, install some plumbing up to the tank so draining and refilling only require turning valves. Pruning will take longer - more things to prune - and will be more difficult if the tank is more than 20 inches deep, and has a center brace that restricts access. It requires much more substrate, more plants, bigger filters, bigger CO2 distribution system, etc.

If none of that discourages you, then I agree completely that the biggest tank you can fit in and afford is always the best.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not discouraged by more of everything - just ends with more to look at and enjoy. Plus where we are putting this tank is premier viewing in our house - should be really sweet.

My biggest question / concern is can 2 canisters effectively filter a 180? I don't want to plumb, cut, etc. I only want the 2 canister hookup. For example I run 2 Fluval 305's on my 45 gallon heavily stocked, heavily planted tank now. That may be a little overkill - but the "crystal" water is a must!

·
Registered
44 Posts
150 gallon and add discus! Two canisters would be perfect. You could run a few heaters inline with them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
watch Craigslist in your area if your not already doing so for good deals on tanks people have grown tired of.

Oh yes as bis as you can afford.

Bigger cost more unless you willing to buy smaller plants and watch them grow...

John

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
i would say at least a minimum of 1000 gallons ;)

but seriously its a matter of what you want, what fish you plan to keep, what look your going for. cuz if your into small fish a 10-20 gallon is fine for scaping.

I would say the next good size after a 20 is probably a 75 becuse of this shape its nice a wide good for scaping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts