Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thread algae problem. At least that's what I think it is. It grows into long strands (sometimes up to 10 inches) and its green. I'm wondering if there's anything that will eat it, or how to get it out of my moss. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Scouter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,877 Posts
Any pictures for an ID? Siamese Algae Eaters will eat thread algae, as will Black Mollies (at least mine will). You can also use a syringe and squirt some excel on it and that will kill it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to exactly kill it with excell. Its all over so I really don't know where to begin. I'm wondering if I should just tear the tank down and start over.
:(

Scouter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
How much light do you have on that tank?
I'd be careful of heavy excel overdosing with moss's.

With excel you can dose the tank, and overtime the algae will go away. Also SAE's do eat some moss too.

I'm wondering if I should just tear the tank down and start over.
You should try to solve the problem or it'll come when you start over anyways. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
You know I've head that dipping all of the affected plants into a mixture of bleach does work well in getting rid of thread algae. You might want to look in to this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,540 Posts
Try amano shrimp. You have such a bad case all mixed into your algae. Amano's in mass are amazing! They did wonders for me. (I had too much light and lean dosing - a bad combination).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, when I said that I was thinking about re-starting fresh, what I meant, was that I would replace everything. Over the summer, I took all of my clippings of my plants and just stuck them into a planter outside and I now have an overflowing container of emerged plants in my house(it started getting cold). I was thinking of taking everything out, bleaching the hardware, and replacing everything, but I really don't want to b/c I'd need to wait longer to put some fish into the tank.

So I guess its up to an algae eater and excel. How many amano's would you think I need? I think that shrimp would be the only animal I could use because it's only a 20 gallon and I want a pair of rams and not too many other fish (I don't care for overstocked tanks).

In the meantime, I think I'll heavily prune the infected moss and use some excel.
Thanks for your help,
Scouter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I only have that problem when my moss is filled with organic debris. Use an airline tube to suck out anything that might be lodged in your moss and it should help at least a little in addition to making sure your lighting, ferts, and co2 are in check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't mollies need a little bit of salt in the water? I thought that that was bad for planted tanks. Please correct me if wrong- I'm really new to aquariums.
Thanks,
Scouter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,819 Posts
A lot of people have varying degrees of success using critters for algae control. Siamese Algae Eaters, Florida Flag Fish, Mollies, Amano Shrimp, etc can all be beneficial but usually need to be kept hungry to eat algae. Amano Shrimp would be my preferred method and for the best algae control it seems that one shrimp per gallon works the best. Most critters that will pick at algae will also pick at moss when hungry so you may need to remove them later. Shrimp are always picking at the plants and you can keep them happy by adding some type of sinking food or even greens (Green Beans, Spinach, Lettuce, etc) after the algae is gone. Bleach can be affective at killing algae but it can kill plants just as easily if not done properly.

It is always best to learn what causes the algae and to prevent it from appearing than to treat it after it has appeared. Answering a few questions will be a start at helping us give you some better answers to your question...How much light do you have over your tank and are you adding fertilizers and CO2?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,540 Posts
So I guess its up to an algae eater and excel. How many amano's would you think I need? I think that shrimp would be the only animal I could use because it's only a 20 gallon and I want a pair of rams and not too many other fish (I don't care for overstocked tanks).

In the meantime, I think I'll heavily prune the infected moss and use some excel.
Thanks for your help,
Scouter
I had a 10g that I brought in hair algae from an LFS. I had too much light and too little ferts in that tank (shrimp in there) and it took off. I cut back on my lighting and I added 16 amanos. In 2 weeks I couldn't find a shred of hair algae. I have since moved many many of them to my big tank but they were amazing. You need to put enough of them in to eradicate the algae entirely. They will find every shred which is something I could not do. I left about 5 in there to make sure every bit was eaten. I will take them out eventually. I think if you skimp on the number of amanos you will just keep the algae at bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yhea, the same thing happened to me. I got it from some infected java moss. I have a DIY C02, I do NPK, and I do a 5 gallon water change biweekly or weekly. I normally fertilize once every three days or so, but I only use about a 3rd of a capful of each. I also have a 2x24wt. t5HO fixture, but only one of the bulbs is working (I haven't ordered another yet) I'm also running a t8 15 watt fixture. My running times are about 12 hrs for the t8 and 8 for the t5. What am I doing wrong? I don't have any test kits, so I really can't give you any other info. I do know that I should probably be dosing a little iron b/c my plants don't look as red but other than that, I really don't know.
Thanks,
Scouter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,540 Posts
T5's are supposed to put out a lot more light than regular bulbs. Sounds like you have high light. If your dosing lean with high light that is probably your issue. (It's what happened to me too!). I ended up cutting down my light. I did have 50 CF watts in my tank. I went back to 24 CF watts. My algae is gone but now my downoi is melting and my UG that was left is going bye bye. I am going to get about 36 CF watts and see what happens. I need to find the right lighting to match the lower dosing I need to do for my CRS.

Why are you dosing lean? You need to make sure you have
1. enough consistent CO2
2. enough ferts
3. enough light

All these need to be in balance. That's the part that will take some tweaking on your part. (mine too, but I'm halfway there! :D)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,819 Posts
I have a DIY C02...
That could be part of the problem if you don't make sure you have consistent production from your DIY CO2.

I normally fertilize once every three days or so, but I only use about a 3rd of a capful of each.
This could be another problem...since you are using 1/3 capful of each , I assume you are using Seachem's line of ferts? Seachem's recommended dosing levels are low for a high light, CO2 tank so you should be adding at least the recommended amount for your size tank and probably even more. Try following the recommended dosages for a while and see if the plants don't look better. It may take a week or two to notice any changes in the plants. It won't cure your current algae problem but may stop it from reappearing in the future.

Are you adding any macros...Seachem Comprehensive (I think they still call it that), Tropica Master Grow (or whatever the new name is) or CSM+B? Plants need micros as well and all of these contain iron also.

I also have a 2x24wt. t5HO fixture, but only one of the bulbs is working (I haven't ordered another yet) I'm also running a t8 15 watt fixture. My running times are about 12 hrs for the t8 and 8 for the t5.
Since your bulbs usually come in either a 24" fixture or 30" fixture so I would assume you have either a 20/29g tank or a 20g long tank. I think you have higher light than you think but that depends on the height of your tank. If it is a 20 long, you definitely have high light since the plants are closer to the light source than they would be in a 20/29g tank. What size tank do you have?

What am I doing wrong?
It looks like you have too much light for your CO2 and/or dosing routine. Either increase your CO2 production and fertilizers or reduce your light. To remove the algae, try your preferred algae eater or remove the moss to another container and try using some Excel or Gluteraldehyde. If the moss doesn't make it, just get some more. Most mosses are fairly easily found these days :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, well I guess the first thing I'll do is start dosing ferts more, second I'll probably go ahead and remove the main moss that's infected and dose excel on it in a different tank, and third, I'm going to get some algae eaters. Did I miss anything? Thanks for all the help guys! Oh, also- MatPat, I have a 20 gal high.
thanks again, I'll keep you posted.
Scouter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I've been dosing with excell and that is seeming to slow it down. I acquired some new plants and I built a new stand, so I plan on doing an entire re-scape and I don't think I'll keep the moss so I'm going to move it to a low-light nano that I can dose with excel. As for the rest of the plants, I'm going to keep dosing with excel and hope for the best right now. I don't have the $ to upgrade the CO2, but I will keep NPK ferts daily.
Thanks guys
Scouter
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top