Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been into this plantet tank thing now for a couple of years, and the more I learn about ferts, chemistry and this things, the less need I have for algea eaters. I might be in luck, but when there has been the slightest sign of algea, I have just brought out my test kit, and 10 minutts laters, I know why they arrived and how to stop them. Thanks to this my tank has always been free of algea. I have otto's, Amano shrimps, Ancistrus and SAE's to deal with alge in the tank, but I find that many of the soft tissue plants like Java mose, Rotala Walliichii and the like often end up as some stupid algea eaters lunch :evil:

So, now I'm debating if I should just evict most of them or what. The only species of algea eater that I have yet to see make dinner out of my pressious is the otto's. SAE's have already packet the bags, and the Ancistrus I know will be a problem when they get a bit bigger. The Amanos are doing a great jobb in keeping my Rotala Walliichii down as we speak... I feed like crazy, so I doubt that's it.

So, I was wondering how much empassis you places in algea eaters in you tank. Do we really need them once your in controll of your water chemistry? I dont mean never a algea eater again, but maybe someting like a otto and a japonica pr. 10 gallon of water?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you saying that the MTS eat the shrimp eggs or the other way around? I think the Red-claw shrimp eat the snails, but I doubt thet MTS can eat the eggs as they stay attached to the shrimp?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts