Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
How do you decide where what goes and how many of which? My one tank right now is going through the "stuff as many plants of different types as possible". It looks rather wild(it does need pruning), and unorganized. How do you do it when planning and maintaining a tank?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Plan. Think of a concept then set out to gather raw materials like rocks and driftwood. build the layout dry and then decide how the plants will go around the rocks or wood.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I plan my layouts. I often sketch out the hardscaping in a sketch book with pencil and layout the foundations of where the foreground, midground, and background should be. I base my plant choices on tank size and the general idea I want to convey (i.e., jungle: mossy wood, Anubias, Bolbitis... spring: pink plants such as Rotala wallichii, light green plants).

The tank never comes out exactly as planned. It always needs some tweaking for me, especially the plant choice and positioning. Sometimes, the plan just doesn't work, and I start over.

Prune, prune prune.

The aquascaping interviews in the articles section should help. Luis Navarro and Oliver Knott have very different methods.

Carlos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts