Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some sources say that they can live upto 4 years. Meanwhile, the other say that they can only live for 1 year. If the cardinal tetras sold in store were caught from the nature, they would already have spent quite a long time out of their lifespan. I mean, they were kind of old already when we bought them, so they would not survive for so long (less than 1 year for the worst). I assumed all the requirements and living conditions for them were met.

Any thoughts on that? How long can you keep them in your aquarium?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I have heard a lot of people saying that it is tough to introduce the cardinal tetras into a new aquarium and keep them survive since a large amount of them often die after a short time period. The survivals however would become quite hardy.

My question is how many percent can you keep your tetras survive when introducing them into your new aquarium? If your percent was high, what was the method that you used for acclimation?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I always kill all my fish at least once a year - it's a difficult thing to do, but I'm successful at it (OD w/CO2).

I've had some cardinals live through it, they made it to three years - until my last overgassing. The only thing that made it through that time was 3 GBRs :eek:...

- Jeff

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have three green neon tetras which are very similar to cardinals (same genus) that are 5+ years old. I got them over two years ago from a hobbyist that had already had them for several years in his display, I did not expect them to live an additional 2+ years and still be alive now.

Very rarely I see some enormous cardinal tetras available that are 2-3 times larger than the average cardinal offered for sale, I think I have only seen these twice in the last five years or so. Are the fish we keep not reaching full size?? Variations due to the collecting locale?? Does anyone know what I am talking about with the JUMBO cardinal tetras?

·
Registered
329 Posts
By the way, I have heard a lot of people saying that it is tough to introduce the cardinal tetras into a new aquarium and keep them survive since a large amount of them often die after a short time period. The survivals however would become quite hardy.

My question is how many percent can you keep your tetras survive when introducing them into your new aquarium? If your percent was high, what was the method that you used for acclimation?
I bought 23 cardinal tetras on September 2007.

Now I still have 23 tetras. Surprisingly no one has died yet.

I think is probably because my tank has very soft and acid water (PH 5).

Bye !

Juan

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I had no problem with them, I use a drip.
I agree that it probably has to do with whether or not they like your water, not necessarily how you acclimate them.

Unfortunately they are an altum's favorite snack. That's what happened to mine eventually.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
10 years isn't unheard of - rare, but it can happen.

If mine survive the first month they usually go for years.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If the cardinal tetras sold in store were caught from the nature, they would already have spent quite a long time out of their lifespan. I mean, they were kind of old already when we bought them, so they would not survive for so long (less than 1 year for the worst).
Not true. In the wild cardinals are effectively annual fish that grow and spawn in their first year. They usually get eaten before they get the chance to spawn again! So, even assuming your fish were caught after they'd spawned they are likely to be a year old.

How long can you keep them in your aquarium?
I've had most of the ones I spawned live for just over 5 years so that age is definitely possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We've had some go for several years, at least four. I acclimate them very slowly, taking at least an hour, usually closer to two. Then we feed baby brine shrimp a couple of times a week for at least a month. After that, they are tough fish, even in fairly hard water. Right now I'm using flightless fruit flies for live food, but bbs would work much better at first.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have some left from a batch of tank bred stock I purchased when the tank was set up in Sept 2001. All from that batch lasted at least 5 to 6 years

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just purchased a school of 20 cardinal tetras from a local fish store. According to the store owner, the tetras have been in his store for 2 weeks after their arrival.

He charged me for $1.50 each. I think that is pretty cheap comparing to Petco and Petsmart where they sell them for $4.00 each.

Right now I am acclimating them to my tank. No rush here, hoping they will all survive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
dont know about cardinal, but some of my neon tetras had short lives.
11 neons, 3 perished in first week after tranfered from Petsmart, now the rest on their 5th week. yesterday one of them got hack by betta, lost its left eye, but still kicking, always right turn, right turn, grasp a piece of food, right turn, another bite, right turn.. Hope it can survive. Others join school of zebra dianos and aggressively fighting over a piece shrimp meat which suppose to be betta's. The betta now under close observation since I believe its aggressiveness is provoked by one of the feeder koi(koi is out of the tank, and betta suffering a tail damage, by koi)

I had neon tetras in the pass, the most sucessful one lived about 2 and a half year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts