Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon with 4x65 watt CFLs and a 37 with a 2x65. Half 10k, half actinic (on a longer timer). Usually I have great plant growth and am tossing out tons of clippings. But as of the last couple of months, I'm getting more and more green dust and green spot algae, and poorer plant growth. I can't figure out whats going on different chemically, but I got the lamps at the end of November last year. The bulbs on the 55 are a bit dimmer to the eye even.

Could this be a reasonable cause? I was hoping to get more life out of the bulbs :(

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I change my bulbs out each year. Some say they will last longer. But I can tell a big difference in the brightness after this length of time. The bulbs also yellow & get darker towards the ends after this period. If you see a difference in brightness I would say they are ready to replace.

I'm not sure if your older bulbs are contributing to the algea you see or not. But when you start getting GSA that is a sign of low P04. Dust algae in my experience is caused by too much N03.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I also have CFL's and even on the package it said they should be replaced yearly because the bulbs would lose their spectral quality, even if you can't see it (but in this case you can). Also, you may consider dual daylight bulbs or just one Kelvin or another. The actinic light is considered unuseful for plants. On the other hand, that would give a LOT more 'useable' light than what you have had, and you might have to reduce the photoperiod or something.

-Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, could be the PO4 I guess. My water in Cleveland had a lot of it, but here in Cincinnati it is lacking, I'm not in the habit of adding it too often.

The nitrates are under control though, no higher than they ever were before the algae problem.

I tend to get algae problems if I leave the daylight lamp on longer or the blinds of the picture window wide open. I leave the actinic blue on a lot later into the light because I like it as a display color. I could change them to 50/50 bulbs I guess.

I usually get my supplies through Big Al's (I usually can't find Flourish Excel or the appropriate lamps in LFSs). Is there one brand of lamp or another that you prefer? I see Coralife and Current USA as the main choices.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Newt put a link in this thread to some other bulb choices:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/54317-coralife-fixture-question.html

GE also makes the 9325. I'm not sure if these are straight-pin or square-pin bulbs. If the bulbs are straight and you fixture is square, there are adapters you can buy (look on ebay). It just depends on what you want.

I know what you mean about not finding what you need at the LFS's. The ONLY thing I can find where I am is Flourish (just Flourish, not Excel or the macros). So, I order everything online except fish and food and the occassional plant.

-Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lord,

I have found excel flourish local in Cincinnati at Aquatics and Exotics. Here is the web site www.aquaticsandexotics.com. The only bad thing is that they were charging $9.99 for 250 ML. I thought a little steep and bought from Dr. Fosters and Smith for 19.49 for 2 liters. It's on sale this month. They have 250 ml going for $3.69. I also picked up Flourish iron for $3.69 for 250 ml online.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lord,

I have found excel flourish local in Cincinnati at Aquatics and Exotics. Here is the web site www.aquaticsandexotics.com. The only bad thing is that they were charging $9.99 for 250 ML. I thought a little steep and bought from Dr. Fosters and Smith for 19.49 for 2 liters. It's on sale this month. They have 250 ml going for $3.69. I also picked up Flourish iron for $3.69 for 250 ml online.

Thanks,

Michael
Actually I live just down the street from them. I had a bunch of store credit from selling rainbowfish I raised but didn't find much I needed so I picked up some staples like food and fluorite. They only have a few lamps, all straight-pin for 23 inch :(

I actually picked up a 10k lamp with some of the credit and when I took it home I realized it was straight pin and I have square. I returned it for some other stuff, I didnt know there was adapters. Oh well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, they don't have many lamps there. I thought I would give you a heads up if you need excel fast and don't want to wait for shipping. It's the only place locally I could find flourish excel.

Michael

·
Registered
488 Posts
Could this be a reasonable cause? I was hoping to get more life out of the bulbs :(
Old bulbs are not as strong as new ones. But there could be many other reasons for the observed poor plant growth.

In order not to be wasteful or generating unnecessary hazard waste, I kept using a bulb until it burned out. Consequently, some of my tanks have bulbs which are several years old. In those tanks, I have observed alternating cycles of fast and slow plant growth, all under the same bulbs.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The life of your bulbs really makes a difference. I got my Compact flourescents about the same time you did. I have noticed a real slow down with my plants. Some are even beginning to melt. I am dosing exactly the same. It's the higher light plants that I see the change in. After a year I will have lost 50% of your light, according the manufacturer of my fixture.

I hear that the Geissemann bulbs last for years and cost no more (energy cost) to run. If your worried about bulbs being tossed otu that may be the way to go. Course the initial outlay is much $$$ for the bulbs. Save your pennies.

·
Registered
488 Posts
May be higher light plants do not adapt well to less than ideal lighting condition.

I prefer plants that are easy to grow. May be that explains why I could use just the regular run-of-the-mill bulbs till they burned out and my plants continued to do well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The main problem is my hygrophila is not thriving, it loves lots of light.

·
Registered
488 Posts
How about replacing the existing bulb with a new one of exactly the same type and then observe? Regardless of the outcome, it will be a learning experience.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is one possibility. I was using the 2x actinic instead of 50/50 on my second bank simply because they came with the fixture. I could leave them up as my display lights and just replace the 10k, the plants did well when those were new, and I wouldn't spend all my money on bulbs!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I do know that Rex Grigg a formidable expert uses his bulbs till they burn out, a close friend of mine does the same and his plants look great. Not saying that its not important to replace but showing others do fine without having to change out those expensive bulbs annually.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Get new bulbs. I had the same problem after having the pc's in the fixture for 9 months. I was in denial that the bulbs could possibly be bad after tha amount of time when it says to replace every year. When I did bite the bullitt and got new bulbe there was a HUGE difference in brightness. Then the plants turned around, algea went away and all was good.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yo may want to consider not changing all the bulbs at the same time....kind of a rotating basis. I write the date on the base so I know which ones are the oldest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts