Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok bring it on!

I believe I will beat everybody. I was drawing designs of aquascapes when I was in 6-th grade - that was 1981. Rocks, wood, crypts, taller plants, moss... the works!

Of course, today there are better aquascapers than me. It seems that it's true - if you lock up a donkey and a piano in a barn for 20 years you don't necessarily end up with a piano playing donkey, haha.

So! How long have you been into planted tanks/aquascaping?

--Nikolay

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I got a goldfish bowl when I was five. I still remember my grandfather teasing me about getting out his fishing pole! Vallisneria and hornwort followed a year or two later. I wouldn't call what I had an aquascape though, unless you count the crayon and construction paper masterpiece behind it. :eek:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I've had aquariums since the mid 70's, not counting the GF bowls as a kid.

As for planted tanks, it's been about 8 years, give or take.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been into Planted Aquariums for about six months, I've been into Aquariums for about six months and two days.:)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Started keeping fish in 1978, started "aquascaping" with plastic plants a couple of years after that. I tried my first live plants in 1985 - Aponogeton madagascariensis with about 0.001 incandescent wpg. It didn't go so well. Serious aquascaping started in 2004.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I got started in planted tanks in 2003, so 5 years now.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm a n00B. I started in June 2008 by giving a gift to my daughter. It infected me! :cool:

regards,
Ravi

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I've had fish since I was 12. I'm 51 now. That's 39 years. I beat you, Niko!

I used to go behind my house in Florida and fish in the canal with a home net (hanger and gauze cloth). I'd get fish and plants. Once I reach just a little to far and fell in. I was so scared! My sister, who was upstream about 50 yrds, (2 yrs younger) heard the scream. By the time she had gotten to me I was out. All I could think of was the fish biting me! LOL

·
Registered
469 Posts
ok, you young "whipper snappers". I started as a child in the 50's, took it up again when I got married in the early 60's, was in a flood late 60's and lost all fish, etc. Restarted a little over a year ago and now just waiting till next year to celebrate being 70.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I got my first aquarium when I was 10 (23 years ago) I fiddled with some low-light plants, but knew absolutely nothing about how to care for them or what they were called (now I know it was Java Fern, Java Moss, and some swords).

I took a 7 year break (2001 - 2008 ), and my very next aquarium was also my first real go at planted tanks. That started in January 2008, and shortly thereafter I joined this site! :)

I guess I'm still a noob with less than a year experience with planted tanks. ;)

-Dave

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had aquariums in my house since as long as I can remember. I got serious in to them when I was 18 and have been doing plants for three years.

·
Registered
697 Posts
wooo... i've kept fish since i was 16-17, took a break for about 2 years when i first lived on my own, then got back into keeping fish. started into live plants around 2001 until now, minus approximately 6 months this year where i took things apart.

so about 19-20 years keeping fish, with about 6 years and 4 months keeping live plants :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought my first tanks when I was about 10, maybe 11. Back then, plastic plants with UG filters ran by air pumps was the big thing so that's what I had. Kept them until I turned 18 and moved out on my own.

I completely forgot about aquariums until last year when I got an apartment just for myself to work on a few things. I walked by a tiny desktop aquarium, thinking it would be easy to take care of!

Long story short, I ended up with 10 tanks from 2.5g to 20long, plus my 29g and my favorite 75g.

I found a board about aquariums which first introduced me into the world of planted tanks. But I still thought it wasn't for me.

Now I'm going wild with the plants! I'm converting my 29g into a high tech tank so I can have even more plants!

Tex Gal, I'm 47 so that makes it 36-37 years for me. You just barely have me beat! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been trying my hand at planted tanks for less than a couple years. But I got my very first fish tank in 1971, when I was 8. It was a 5 1/2 gallon Metaframe tank with blue and white gravel, overstocked with common wild type guppies and anacharis. The anacharis grew like crazy, and I would sometimes harvest it to put into the goldfish tank. One day I introduced a couple snails, and soon had a booming population of snails. I have never before or since seen a tank with so many snails! Can we say "overfeeding"? :lol:

Got some bigger tanks later, and never could figure out why sometimes plants could grow for me, and sometimes not. With what I know now, I can't figure out why plants ever grew for me then!

Took a break during college, got back into it, took another longer break (about 10 years). When I set up a tank about 2 1/2 years ago, I had no intention of getting into planted tanks. I also had no intention of setting up more than one tank (and I now have 10 --ranging in size from 2.5 gallons to 30 gallons, some planted, some not).

My first tank is long gone, but I do still have the air pump that powered the filter --and it still works! (anyone else have some ancient aquarium equipment?)

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I started my first aquarium in 1961. I used to work summers helping a neighbor who ran a tropical fish business out of her home. I kept some plants, guppies, mollies and platys. Plants were probably cabomba and anacharis (don't remember).

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I was 9, I had my first aquarium. I remember it... it was a mess. At that time, never heard of cycling or compatibility between fishes. Just a buch a fishes in a tank without any questionning (I'm shamefull of that today:Cry:) !! It's 38 years later that the aquarium fever caught me back again. Exactly, it was right after visiting a fishes farm in Bogota (my wife is colombiana)... where it was possible to buy adults altum for 5$ a piece!! With all the informations you can find on internet, my come back have been more succesfull and after seeing photos of ADA and AGA contests, that was it! Never imagine that you can to such wonderfull scapings in a tank. I am in this aquascaping hobby for more that a year now and I'm crazy about it!

François

1 - 20 of 20 Posts