Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just setup my DIY CO2 system using soda bottles... I have no clue if the CO2 I am inyecting is to much or to little.

I have a 20 gallon tank.

Is there anyway to aproximate the required number of bubbles that need to go in the tank (assuming 100% disolution) to reach an acceptable CO2 level?

I am currently getting a bubble every 3 to 4 seconds.... does that seem right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess my CO2 is on normal range... difference may be due to different mix (I am using about 1.5 litters of water, 3/4 cup of sugar and one tablespoon of yeast.)

How big is your tank?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean the CO2 production of my DIY CO2 is what was expected... still have to check the water PH to see if it is OK.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This comes to about 1 bubble every seconds... so according to this formula I may be adding to much CO2.

I believe however that this is only a guideline... I would presume the number of plants and fish in the tank will play a role in how much CO2 you need and ultimately in how much you need to inject.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a lot of recepies out there for the mix... I am currently using 3/4 of a cup of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast on roughly 1 liter of water. Does that sound OK?

In regards to adding baking soda to the mix, if I understand correctly the BS will increase the production of CO2, therefore making it necessary to add something to control the preassure on the bottle and the amount of CO2 delivered to the tank. Is this correct or does it only make the reaction last longer withouth increasing the production of CO2 at a given time?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Giancarlo,

Jello... interesting, could you comment on the specifics of the "recepie" for the mix you use or have used and your personal experiences with it?

Thanks!
~Benicio

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did a search on google and came up with this:

- Add 2 packs of regular jello, not the light stuff, to an empty and clean 2l pop bottle.
- Add boiling water to dissolve the jello
- Add your 1-2 cups of sugar
- Add enough water to fill the bottle to about 1.5l
Store in the fridge overnight to let the jello set.
On the following day:
- Add 1 cup of water and the yeast (1/8 teaspoon) on top of the jello. Attach your bottle as normal."
I am going to try it out. I read somewhere else that one needs one of these bottles for every 30 gallons of water.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK guys... I had not seen the table until today (I did not have a way of measuring PH).... now I measured my PH it is at 7.0 but have no way of measuring my KH... do I need a test kit for that?

I had my water tested yesterday at my LFS.. they said it was to hard and told me to ad salt... does this have anything to do with KH levels?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Does KH stand for anything?, they tested it for Chlorine, Nitrate, Amonia, Hardness, and PH yesterday.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ph rising rather than lowering...

I do not have the test kit for KH yet, but my Ph is rising!! I measured it this morning (which supposedly since there is no light at night should be the lowest number of the day) at 7.2 (using color charts, aquarium farmaceuticals kit) what is happening!?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I left it running all night.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My tank woke up to a 6.7-6.8 ph at 7:00 this morning, right before turning on the lights.

Good thing you touched on the Ph swing subject as that was going to be my next question.

I have read a lot that fish do not like Ph swings, but how much is too much... unless you have aPh controller (and maybe even then) there will be Ph swings... photosintesis ocurrs at daytime only, hence my CO2 concentration is bound to be higher at night...

What is the general concensus on leaving CO2 on at night or not? Other than CO2 how can one reduce Ph swings to a minimmum or at least to a level when it will not affect fish?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
OK, just got my KH kit...

I am measuring P = 6.8, Kh = 8 -> CO2=38.

I was told to shoot for CO2 between 20 and 30, so I know this level mey be a bit high...

When you talk about dangerous CO2 levels... what range are you talking about? Is CO2 dangerous to plant, fish or both, at what levels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts