Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Generally aabout the same amount of baking soda as yeast works well for me. The baking soda seems to slow down the reaction adn it also raises the kH( and thus the pH) of hte mix so the yeast can work longer before it gets to acidic and kills the plants. My mixes generally last 3 weeks before replacing. I am also trying something new. Check out my thread in the DIY section "DIY Pressurized CO2". Just use at your own risk. I make no promises or claims. Works well for me though.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have had co2 levels much higher than that and never had a problem. At time when I was fiddling wihtt he CO2 setup, or for other reasons, and the fish never seemed to mind. I at one point had had 11 neons, 2 golden barbs, and 2 otos in a 10 gal wiht tons of plants. I accidently hit 90ppm of co2 a couple of times. I know this lasted for several hours and the fish were not gasping or even acting funny. I do not recomend trying this and mine was an accident dut I generally have it int he 35ppm range adn no one cares. I only have 7 neons in there now, not because of deaths though:) My plants seem fine adn this is an easy number to stay at based on my water and co2 setup. I believe that part of hte reason mine can get so high wihtout any ill effects is the fact that my plants (and I have a lot) producea lot of o2 during the day. I am sure that even witht e high co2 levels that there is planty of o2 in the water, even after all night. For instance this morning I had 60ppm of co2 because I just changed my mix and it was not fine tuned yet. My fish are fine but my plants also produce fairly steady streams of o2 through out the day. One thing to remember is that co2 saturation in the water does not force out o2. At he end of the day, if your plants are growing well, your water will be highly saturated with both CO2 and O2.

ANyway, I ramble so hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts