Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-14

Votes: 4 17.4%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 15 neon tetras for my 125g with 6 full grown angel fish. I didn't realize that the angel's mouths were quite so big. The neons are roughly 1 inch long and the body of the angels is roughly 5 inches, excluding fins. The angels are usually fed either ever day or every other day with flake food.

I put them in tonight and the angels seemed to follow them around. I couldn't help hearing the Jaws music in the back of my head.

How many if any do you think will be eaten by the end of the week?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath! :croc: I don't think they have much of a chance. Sometimes if the neons are big and the angels are tiny and grow up with them they never learn that they are food. If not, then it's a gourmet treat!:hungry:

·
Registered
551 Posts
feed your angels more. That may help. I just put 12 cardinal tetras in my 125 gal with my discus, one of which is about 5"-6", not to mention the fire eel. It has been 3 days and I still have all 12.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had 15 glowlight tetras in a tank with a 5" Green Terror (gold saum). For the first 3 weeks, everyone got a long. No deaths. I was pretty impressed.

I am down to 5 tetras as of this morning.

Woo hoo. Gold saum is certainly living up to its name.

Feeding will help.

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 125g has been fully planted with sagittaria that has grown to 12 inches in some places. There are a few rocks and 3 large anubias plants, but not much other than that.

I hope for the best, but the pole seems to indicate the angels will win this round >.<

I'm almost afraid to check and see what has happened...

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well! In case anyone was interested, I went back to check on the neons today and lo and behold they are all gone.

I guess angels +1 neons - ehh...

What about adding cherry barbs to the tank? I can't remember but I have a feeling they like to nibble on plants when they are older...

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is exactly what I'm after! A tight schooling, colorful fish. With more emphasis on tight schooling.

I'm trying to find fish for 1$/fish. The neons were that price. I wouldn't mind some rummy noses or harlequins but they are 2.99 each, which is a little too expensive to be getting large schools of 30+

Any ideas where to look for cheap tetras or other tightly schooling fish?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I can think of $1 fish, but then the tight schooling throws them out.

What about the black neon. I've had better luck with them than I have with regular neon

·
Registered
173 Posts
what about a larger schooling fish? smaller school but bigger fish might mean less fish food

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.