Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi there,

I was wondering how many time should the tank volume turnover in a heavily planted tank turn over? and when calculating this do i include the sump volume as well as the tank volume?

Regards Darren
Are you talking filtration rate or water circulation rate? These can be two different things.

I am a huge advocate of over filtration and keeping the current in the tank enough to make sure that no debris can settle on the substrate.

For instance, my 29 gallon planted RCS tank is being filtered by an Eheim 2215 which creates enough flow so as no debris can settle on the SMS I am using as substrate. The tank is very heavily planted and the shrimp seem to love it along with my Ottos.

You should try to balance the filter flow and the circulation rate. Too much circulation and not enough filtration rate can cause the debris to just constantly float around in your tank, so you will have to take into consideration the tank as well. What are the dimensions? Is it a tall tank, long tank, etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hydor Koralia -- which model for large tanks?

I am thinking about adding one or two hydor koralia to increase flow in middle/bottom of a tank.... to better disperse CO2 and other nutrients. Tank sizes are 90 and 120g, each with 2 returns at the top. I would probably place them along back wall near corner.
To those who have used HKs, would you like to have larger or smaller models than you currently have? Also, do you suggest two small models in ea tank, say two no. 1 (400gph), or one larger no. 3 (850gph)? Are there any quirks about these models to point out?
thanks, Neil

·
Registered
422 Posts
Till this date I have got away with very little circulation in my planted tanks. They are very high lit tanks (using direct sunlight + supplemented with 3WPG), well planted with good community fish population, and using a lot of CO2 (bubble counter showing 1 pea size bubble every 3mm in a free vertical rise for my 240G) and only 2 power-head pumps for my UGF each having a max capacity of 800 L/H (which I doubt is achievable after the resistance of the UGF, the in-line reactors, and the home-made spray-bars). The flow is imperceptible, though well distributed; but keeps the water reasonable clear. There are no other enhancer of flow in the tanks.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts