Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
With high-quality T5 fixtures and a 125g tank, I think you'd be fine with 2wpg for most plants. If you're going for outstanding color and the ability to grow any species out there, 3 wpg of T5 would be more than plenty.

Keep in mind that going from T8 to T5 fixtures will result in a 200% to 400% increase in efficiency per watt. You'll probably need to adjust ferts, trimming schedules, and of course, CO2 has to be absolutely optimum at high light levels.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Really high light is a very different world. Go for it, but don't expect to get away without making any other chagnes. Stay on top of your ferts and CO2 and you should be fine.

One thing you might want to consider is a fixture that gives you flexibility to run only a part of the lights at any given time. This will increase your flexibility if you want to adjust as time goes on.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I'd stay away from the actinics. Like Lauralee said, they're designed for corals.

My absolute favorite T5 bulbs would be a combination of 10,000k bulbs supplemented with a couple of AquaMedic Planta bulbs. The Planta bulbs have a bit of a pink color to them and they really bring out the reds and greens nicely. It makes the fish look better too.

Many people are in love with the 9,325K Geisman bulbs. Don't just accept the bulbs that come with the fixture. The right selection makes a large difference. Whoever is selling you the thing may give you a discount if you decide to get your bulbs from another source.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.