Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allowing 3 inches substrate depth, how tall a planted tank do you think is sufficient for discus?

We were thinking of getting a 125L gallon 72 x 18 x 20 or a 135H gallon 72 x 18 x 24. Should we stick with the 135 g for the increased height? Adult discus are at least 6 in. high and long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And they can get larger. 20 is a little short and really out of porportion with a tank that size. I would go with the 135, or if you can swing it, a 180 is just such a nice sized tank.

They will do fine in any of those tanks BTW.

Stevie D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, now I'm also thinking of going with a 100 gallon 60 x 18 x 24H now as well, for the height. My ideal would be 72 x 24 x 24 (love "squared" tanks where the tank is as deep as it is tall), but that would be pushing the space I have for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 41" x 23" x 23" tank and I must admit the 23" depth and height really makes the tank look good, also the discus love it. I am yet to plant the tank but I am guessing I am going to need all that 23" of space for my discus, if you were going smaller fish it would not matter as much.

Good luck

Jamie
http://allthatfishybusiness.blogspot.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts