Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some suggestions as to how to aquascape this tank.

I already have some stuff planned out:

• Marselia Minuta and Downoi will be the primary foreground plants
  • I'll make the Ozelot Sword the focal point, and trim it occasionally
  • I'm going for the concave aquascape
  • The main "tall" plant on the left will be Rotala Rotundifolia
  • The main "tall" plant on the right will be a jungle of Crypt Becketii/Petchii
  • The middle will consist of Blyxa Japonica.

How does this sound?

Also, I'm considering putting some lava rock in the middle. Anyone have any opinions on this?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
This looks like a 10g. If you use smaller plant varieties the tank will look larger. It's gonna get crowded in there really fast. The sword will probably take up half the room by it's self. Course if you like high maintenance maybe that's what you like... :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol thanks TG:p

Less plants is going to be hard, because I'm going to Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco, and they have a HUGE selection of plants:D

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hi ZooTycoonMaster,
It looks like you and I have the same disease, Collectoritis! I found my tanks looked better with fewer plant types and planting several of the same type in groupings. By the way, I'm pretty sure they sell tanks at Aqua Forest Aquarium!!! LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFA sells everything on their website, I believe:p

Hmm maybe I could get rid of the Sunset Hygro and Dwarf Sag since they serve no purpose other than looking pretty;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Personally I think your tank looks great just the way it is...structured yet slightly wild. Perhaps remove the larger stem plant to the right of the ozelot sword, but I don't think this detracts too much. Other than that maybe adding more neons would make it more lively...again tank looks very beautiful the way it is and IMO looks bigger than 10 gallon

·
Registered
930 Posts
Lol thanks TG:p

Less plants is going to be hard, because I'm going to Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco, and they have a HUGE selection of plants:D
You've got the plant bug!! Perhaps it is time to upgrade and leave some of the plants in the 10 gallon for a quarantine tank. I have seen 30 gallon tanks with everything, including stand, for sale on craigslist.org for $80. You just might have to upgrade the light system. Sometimes good deals on lights can be found on EBay or LFS.

Your tank is beautiful!! It just looks like it needs some partitioning, like the pictured I posted. It looks bigger than a 10 gallon. If you add more plants some may die for there will be so many shadows.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't really have the time or room to upgrade...:p

Nor do I have the room to add additional rocks;)
Well then you might think of trading or selling your least favorite plants.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Both were very nice. Now and Before. Personally, I'd be very happy with either of them :D. I like all of the colors in this one. The only think is, it looks there are several plants squished into the right side, and it doesn't look like most of them are getting any light. If there are too many shadows in this tank, and there are plants that aren't getting sufficient amounts of light, then it is probable that you will have some dead plants under some plants under some plants that do excellent. But, it still is always fun to redecorate :).

Just some quick questions, how many watts/gallon do you have, do you have CO2, and are you adding fertilizers or supplements?

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I'm planning on selling the Riccia soon, so the Crypts over there will have some more light.

I have about 4.8 watts of lighting (although it's T5 HO, so it might be technically more), EI dosing, and DIY CO2 diffused via my Eheim:D

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It is still honestly way overcrowded.

Collectoritis is a wonderful, and horrible, thing.

It a larger tank, you might get away with many species (even then, I always get scolded for how many species I keep, but at leas there is some room for them!)

You have to get fewer types, it is just too much in too little space.

I'd personally lose the sword and the riccia, get the bamboo out where it can actually be seen. The allure of bamboo is the pearling/shiny leaves, which you'll never see behind a cloud of rotala.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd personally lose the sword and the riccia, get the bamboo out where it can actually be seen. The allure of bamboo is the pearling/shiny leaves, which you'll never see behind a cloud of rotala.
Maybe I could replace the Sword with the Bamboo then? And somehow make that the focal point?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts