Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends !

I hope all is well !

Just wanted to know if theres any way I can check if my activated carbon is still working or not - so that I can know if I need to replace it.

I got some carbon from a RO Water Equipment supplier (who sells stuff for human consumption) and I want to check if it works, so that I can use it in my Aquarium.

I guess putting in a drop of some colored aquarium medicine on the carbon should show it ? If yes, then in how much time should the color be cleared up ? Will a drop of medicine do ?

Kindly guide me...
Thanks and Regards
Kush

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have never seen this question asked nor do I know the answer if there is a way. If I were to guess from what I've read you can probably count on it to lose its effectiveness it about 30 days. I would imagine that most of us may use it in an initial setup, but toss it after a couple weeks. Other media is more effective for biological filtration and water flow. The exception may be to use after medication and the tank is clear of disease.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
What is it you're trying to accomplish by using it? As The old man said, it's effectiveness is fairly short lived, and most planted tank folks don't use it in their tanks. While it's activated, it will remove some nutrients you want the plants to have.

·
Registered
133 Posts
First you have to click your ruby red slippers together 3 times, then sacrifice a chicken, then do a rain dance. Then you will know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts