Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO,

I have a few questions about dosing dry ferts. I just received several of your products and want to make sure. My tank parametrs are;

150 gallon
ph = 6.7
temp = 78 - 80
PO4 = <1.0
GH = 12
KH = 5
CO2 = 28 - 30mg/l
nitrite = 0
ammonia = 0
nitrate = <.25

I have been using all of the FLOURISH products for over a year and it was just getting too expensive. I had Tom Barr over my house and he reccommended that I start doising ALOT more then what I was previously dosing. I was adding about 15ml of Flourish a week, he suggested around 30 ml three times a week. I have noticed a dramatic increase in plant growth over the last 7 weeks since I upped the dosing. The same is true with dosing Flourish Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potassium and Micros.

The question I have is that Tomm stated add 1 tsp of KNO3 and 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4, 4 times a week. Now looking and double checking on Chuck Glad's calculator, It states add around 6 tsp of KH2PO4 to achieve around .6ppm of PO4. Is this for just a once a week dosing schedule or what Tomm suggested at every other day? Also on Chuck's site for KNO3, is the target states 5ppm. Is that 5.00ppm or .5ppm? If it is 5.00ppm, then I have to add 414 tspns!!!!! or 138 Tblspn!!!!!!! that seems like quite a bit.

So with the above parameters in my tank, the plants are growing well, but could be better, curling leaves and black/brown veins through the leaves on some of the "green" stem plants, what would you suggest?

I would really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jdigiorgio said:
My tank parametrs are;

150 gallon

I have been using all of the FLOURISH products for over a year and it was just getting too expensive. I had Tom Barr over my house and he reccommended that I start doising ALOT more then what I was previously dosing. I was adding about 15ml of Flourish a week, he suggested around 30 ml three times a week. I have noticed a dramatic increase in plant growth over the last 7 weeks since I upped the dosing.
If you are using Plantex CSM+B ... you can mix 1 tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B and 1 tablespoon of Magnesium Sulfate into 500 ml of water to create a do-it-yourself micro nutrient solution ... at this ratio, you will need to dose 1.25 ml per 1 ml of Flourish that you were originally dosing.

jdigiorgio said:
The question I have is that Tomm stated add [...] 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4, 4 times a week. Now looking and double checking on Chuck Glad's calculator, It states add around 6 tsp of KH2PO4 to achieve around .6ppm of PO4.
Your math is just a little off <grin> ... according to Chuck Gadd's calculator 1/8 tsp will add approximately 0.74 ppm of phosphate to your 150 gallon aquarium ... I suspect that you have some strange number in the Amount of Water to Mix with cell .... if you are dry dosing, put a 1 ml in this cell and then the results cell will tell you how many ppm this would add to your aquarium.

jdigiorgio said:
Also on Chuck's site for KNO3, is the target states 5ppm. Is that 5.00ppm or .5ppm?
That's 5.0 ppm ... and I suspect you encountered the same math issue on your KNO3 calculation as the phosphate one above ...

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts