Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well iv been playing around with some stem plants and cant seem to get the nodes to grow as close as i want to keep them short and full.

they are in a 10gallon tank 3.7wpg 20-30co2 diy, .5-1ppm po4, 10ppm nitrate traces and iron daily k>20ppm

mostly the plant i am wondering about is asian ambulia(sp)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Asian Ambulia is naturally spacey between the internodes. That's no fault of yours and you can't really "fix" it, per se.

Your Nitrate is a little high, I think.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
You'll find that internodal length is typically due to low light levels. In your case, I don't think this is a problem.

I would try to keep them well trimmed. I think in time the internodal length will shrink. Otherwise, you can try adding some hormones but that would probably be over the top.

However, bear in mind that the plant may be genetically predisposed to the internodal length.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I posted this same question here recently,http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=904 . I discovered from other's experiences that light spectrum had a pronounced effect on internodal distances. Apparently if you use a mixture of 6700K and 9325K bulbs it will shorten your internodal distances as well as redden up any plants which are red. From what I have discovered, only GE makes the 9325K bulb and apparently only in 55W size, cf. I would love to get my hands on one in 13W, cf for my 2x13 ah kit, but can't find it. You could use only the 9325 bulb, but it is apparently, rather blue, and would give your tank an unnatural appearance, that's why people pair it up with a 6700 bulb.

Having said that, if anyone knows of a 13W cf 9325K bulb, I would love to know where you got it![/url]

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think someone's got their bulbs mixed up. The 9325K bulb from GE, also known as the GE AquaRays and now re-branded under the All-Glass name is actually available in several sizes, pretty much all the sizes All-Glass uses in their fixtures. My LFS has the 32W T8 and I got Pets Plus to order T12 tubes for me a couple weeks ago. I also have several smaller AquaRays in the 15W range.

Also, they are nothing like a 10000K bulb, and certainly don't have the slightest tint of blue. Their spectrum includes a strong peak in the red so these bubls actually appear closer to a lower kelvin than anything else.

Remember, spectrum and kelvin are two entirely different things and should not be mixed up at all. Two bulbs with the same kelvin rating can have entirely different spectrums. Further, the kelvin has very little to do with plant growth, spectrum is what you want to be thinking.

Here's the spectral output of the GE AquaRays:

And here's the specs of the T12 bulb from the GE catalog:

http://www.gpodio.com/posts/ge9325.pdf

Call All-Glass to know where to buy these bulbs from.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts