Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you gravel clean eco-complete substrate? My first attempt seem to suck up just as much gravel as debris and water!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I pinch the hose to reduce water flow when vacuming eco-complete, still it's very light and gets sucked up from time to time. I've been thinking of placing a mesh in the vacum tube that will allow small particles to pass while stopping the gravel...

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I like to keep the tube 1/2" or so above the substrate and gently move it back and forth to dislodge any small particles. I rarely have any Eco or even sand come up my siphon tube when using this method. The mulm is light enough that this method works well for me.

You may want to try a smaller size gravel vac as this allows for even less flow. I have a very small vac (1" diameter tube, about 1/4" I.D. hose) that I purchased at Wal Mart for getting between plants. It will pick up most mulm/detritus without disturbing the substrate, even sand.

I use the small siphon for cleaning the substrate, then switch to the big siphon to get the water out quickly.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
gpodio said:
I've been thinking of placing a mesh in the vacum tube that will allow small particles to pass while stopping the gravel...
Giancarlo Podio
That's a fine idea.... :) I'll have to give it a try since I just can't stop myself from getting a little overzealous with the vac.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to see I'm not the only one kicking this problem around. Will try one of my smaller siphons.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got the tiny 1" dia. Petsmart brand vac, as well as a 1" dia. tubing. removed stock tubing from vac, cut longer tubing to desired length and use that to vac any bare areas in the tank. Small enough to get around most things in the tank, and not too much flow to cause trouble with the EC.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will have to get one. I tried my smaller tubes with no success. Not going to even try the python! lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts