Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tsunami's presentation of various layout critiques and the responses from APC members is always entertaining - and useful to me as a learner in this wide subject of art and science. I would like to suggest another format for interesting discussion which might be helpful to those of us in earlier days of aquascaping experience. Here goes: I would call it something like: "basic building blocks"

The photo below shows a basic building block of natural landscapes in the North East of the USA (photo taken 2004-9, New York State). Natural terrestrial vistas often inspire us to try to recreate parts of them under water in an aquarium. It would be interesting to hear from some experienced aquascapers how they would go about recreating or adapting the plant and rock elements in the photo to an aquascape. What hard structure might be used, what problems encountered, what plants might help to recreate the overlapping moss pillows.... what tips to offer, if any.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I would use some of that beautiful granite as the hardscape, no wood or anything else.

As far as plants, Riccia would make a good substitute for that light moss. Lobelia cardinalis or Petite Anubias nana would work well for the dark green opposite leaved plants just peeking out of the moss. Hygrophila corymbosa might make a good substitute for the taller woody plants. If you wanted to add some dark contrast to the riccia, Java Moss would be appropriate. Just watch out for the two getting intertwined and making a mess. :)

This could be one gorgeous aquarium!

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
39 Posts
I suuggest monoselium tenerum, i think that is what it is called. Check on tropica.uk for more info: it makes a look like ricca but it doesnt need as much light. When you go on the tropica page, scroll down to the articles where it says 'Pelia' And I also would agree to use rocks instead of wood and maybe for those other plants you could have hygrophilia polysperma in random spots
goodluck!

f4b

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Two plants that would really work, as Edward recommended-
1) Riccia
2) Anubias sp. (nana or barteri)

I don't think using stem plants would make a good choice, this aquascape should be a mound-type aquascape.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I believe that to capture the light colored, fluffy texture of the moss, Riccia fluitans or Riccia sp. 'dwarf' would be necessary. Monosolenium tenerum is just too large and dark to render the same effect.

I would also use Anubias barteri var. nana. If the aquarium is especially small (~10g), I would use the 'Petit' variety.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I love the shape of the moss pillows, perhaps with more water-worn boulders rising above the moss. Lichen is something that has no real equivalent under water - except algae. Actually, I believe lichen is a symbiotic relationship between plant and algae. But that's another story.

Anubias nana, petitie, 'stardust' etc would look nice therein as might Blyxa japonica or Isoetes.

Dwarf Riccia is something I have not come across. What good source might there be of this plant?

Andrew Cribb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts