Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a relatively tough week. I didn't take any vacation during the end of the year so I'm a little burnt out. Really haven't felt like working.

Then my sister-in-law broke up with her boyfriend and he began to stalk her. So much so we had to get a restraining order put in place. She's been sleeping in a different person's house every day. It needs to continue until we go before a judge next week. Gees!

Other than that, everyone's healthy so I can't complain. :D

How did you fare?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Chinese New Year begins on February 8th (New Moon day in the USA, it is the 9th in China), the year of the Rooster (last year being the year of the Monkey) so tradition is that we clean up the mess of the old year ready to face the new one and wish success to our friends and hope for some of the same. Half of the family is Chinese so we are happy to follow the tradition.

I look around at the piles of things to do and wonder whether there is time enough before I leave to see my mother in England next week.

My daughter has a science fair project to get ready and she wants to develop something useful for people in the Tsunami Zone which can benefit the survivors and be made from readily accessible materials... that has me scratching my head well into the night.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I really like these "end of the week/TGIF" threads. It's a great way to wind down from the work week, and just chatter with everyone about what's been going on in your life.

The week was pretty uneventful here. It's aways a drag to go back to work for the full 5 days after all of the holiday time off. And the next paid holiday isn't until Memorial day... :(

It's been cool here with the low night before last -36° F, and the highs haven't been above 0 for several days. We're supposed to get a warmup this weekend and have highs around 20° - short sleeve weather.... :D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
This last half of my week has been horrible, just horrible. Thank goodness it has nothing to do with my health or anything like that, just a work situation that had me standing up for something that I just can't believe I had to stand up for in the first place. Then, being reprimanded for saying what I said -- not the intent -- but the wording (which I don't think was harsh to begin with, and I included the fact that I was not trying to put anyone down). UGHH. My blood pressure is still up and I bet my neck is red :(

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Busy busy busy work-wise. There never seems to be enough hours in the day for everything I want/need to do!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If I were any better I'd be twins! $600.00 worth of new Eheims and Corallife fixtures will do that to a guy. :) Yup, you guess it! I'm finally going to have an active and growing planted tank in my house again after more than a year. I'm starting to get really excited after looking through all my AquaJournals and contest books/CDs. They're even going to be *gasp* STEMPLANT tanks! OMG! Run, Hell has frozen over!

oh yeah, my wife is having her 2nd interview with the Richard Petty Driving Experience on Thursday. Please pray that she gets it. not only will she be working for a REALLY REALLY cool company, but she'll be 10 minutes from where I go to school.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
STEMPLANT tanks!
Oh my goodness! So it won't be Crypt Master Phil anymore? Should we begin calling you Stem Master Phil? hehe. Somehow that doesn't sound as good!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
What will the fish be? There's a good chance I may be able to give you a stem of Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi) which is per my understanding a Thai plant :) If the weather doesn't eat all my vacation days, and the Downoi stays healthy (I always have my fingers crossed!), I'll bring one to the RAS workshop if you want one. It's the least I can do since I'm so selfish with my shrimp :(

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent the week in El Salvador, Central America. I couldn't wait for the weekend to come so that I could get back to my family!

Trying to manage the site transfer from Central America was also a challenge. However, I would highly recommend El Salvador to anyone. Beautiful country with tremendous beaches. With the cold weather we're having, I'm sure many of you wouldn't mind a little vacation to the tropics???

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Sharon go the job! Woo Hoo! We're likely going to be moving a lot closer to the university/speedway sometime during the summer. There will be numerous and copious photos of the creation of new fish/plant rooms and displays to tickle your funny bone.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was a long one for me. I was in Venezuela, El Salvador and New York. I'm exhausted!

I'm glad it's the weekend. Have to wake up early tomorrow to paint my son's room.:smile: It never ends...

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Department Chair problems----box of supplies for molecular biology kits gets mislaid. Is somewhere on campus, I think. Several calls with vendor and with United Parcel. Shipped to suite E instead of suite D. We don't have any suite addresses on campus! Received by HORN. We don't have anybody with that name! A computer for a faculty member has also been shpped and mislaid. Can't be found. Fisher Scientific calls me about a seriously overdue invoice for $50.00. That is for 2 boxes of LaMotte nitrate #1 and 2 boxes of nitrate #2 pills ordered last semester. (We use Lamotte kits in a lab exercise that extracts nutrients from soil) I got 2 boxes that were neither #1 nor #2. Don't know if the purchasing agent messed up in retyping my purchase requisition because I never got a copy of the purchase order. Fisher then sent me 6 boxes of #1., but no #2. They said, no, don't send the boxes back; it is too expensive to mail them back. Consider them a gift. So, why are they billing us $50.00? They say they are giving us credit, but we still have to pay for what we got. ???????? I refer them to our purchasing agent and wish them good luck. Recommend they get a good night's sleep and take a big vitamin pill in the morning. Our purchasing agent messes up on more than half of my purchase requisitions. If Fisher gets past the purchasing agent, they get to Accounts Payble, who, as a general rule does not pay until venders refuse to ship or the people who supply our deionizing tanks for our deionizer arrive to remove their equipment. I had to pay them a personal check to get them to leave the tanks here last time they showed up. (I did get paid back.)

Dark rumors circulating that all accounts will be frozen soon and employer contributions to retirement funds and insurers have stopped. This happens every year. In the past, accounts have been frozen right at the beginning of the academic year. Here's your budget. Bam! It's frozen. We are either doing much better than usual or we are much more broke than usual.

I am teaching full time, also. Have a student who tells me that she is doing very well in all her courses except in mine-------! Her parents come. Highly concerned about "their baby". I check her math grades with her math teacher. Oh Oh! not so good! Have meeting with her, her parents, and the Division Dean. She looks us in the eyes and says she has 2 B's in math, so far. I know differently, but keep my mouth shut. We have a different generation of parents, now. The older generation put the blame for not doing well on their children. The newer ones try to lay it on the teacher. In this case, though, I think the parents are of the older generation, but they trust their daughter to be telling the truth. Sad.

Am working on senior theses with three seniors. One comes and says, can I email you my draft on Friday, and can you meet with me Sunday so that we can go over it. A paper with my signature that we have done this is due, according to her, on Monday. Actually, the senior is misinformed; the signature is not due until Feb 21.

Students suddenly can not access the computers. The passwords have mysteriously changed. I go to the Information Technology people. Only their secretary is there, feeling overworked and neglected. We commiserate. The rest of the IT people are all out somewhere changing our email system so that we have to do our email on the web. I have very bad vibes that this is not going to work out. The problems I forsee are worse than the ones we have now with our email server that somehow duplicates emails so that we get as many as 50 duplicates of some emails. It also lets through all the spammers in the world, many of whom are now masquarading as banks that want me to visit a web site to "update" my account. Other than that, I have no problems with our email server. It even works most of the time. I think that the reason IT wants us to do email on the web is that our server is so infected with viruses and worms that some branches of the U.S. government and many local internet providers won't accept emails from us.

Gotta work on course assignments next fall, Departmental evaluations, Personel Committee recommendations, recommendations for Sonis Web, the barely functioning academic records software, my portfolio, my Personal Development Plan, and grade quizzes and make an exam, 2 versions, because the 9AM section has established good communications with the 11AM section. The communications are so good that the 11AM students put in the answers to the 9AM quiz, even if the questions are totally different in the 11AM quiz.

Oh yes! Listening to the State of the Union speech did not help my mood!

I have concluded------Carl Hiassen and Tim Dorsey are NOT EXAGGERATING in their novels.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gees, Paul! You've had one heck of a week! Take Sunday off man!

HeyPK said:
make an exam, 2 versions, because the 9AM section has established good communications with the 11AM section. The communications are so good that the 11AM students put in the answers to the 9AM quiz, even if the questions are totally different in the 11AM quiz.
That is classic! :razz:

Paul, it will get better. Hang in there. Hopefully coming to APC takes your mind off of things.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Good Week for me....

Many of you know I do tech support for an Apple contractor, specifically mind numbing iPod support, well no more. I am moving internally to be the Knowledge Engineer for a new client. Back to what I do best, technical writing. I will be responsible for the creation of all support documentation for a large software pkg used for Education data management for k-12 systems throughout the US.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts