Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Folks,
New to the forum. Been breeding discus for 11 years. Had planted tanks in the past. Not an expert and willing to learn more. I plan to set it up again with a different approach.

Thank you

dan

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome Dan!

Beautiful photos. :)

Do you plan to attend the ACA convention in Fort Worth this year?

I'll be there, and it would be a pleasure to meet you. :) I've been going for a few years now, and you can't beat the nice people and beautiful Cichlids there.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Cool! We'll have to figure out a way to say hi when we all get there. I'm always with my group of "outlaw" friends.... ;-) I hope they don't see this.... :razz:
If you click on my sig strip, you can see some photos from the Denver (and Cinci) convention and see what I mean....LOL!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice pics. We can do some partying:razz: Except I don't drink or smoke.[smilie=t:

I'll more than likely hang out with the discus folks. They'll be a large discus showing this time around.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Dan, welcome to APC :smile:

Your pics are just awesome, the first pic of the babies w/parent is my favorite.

I had thought about keeping Discus at one time then I started reading up and found that they can be harder to keep then most fish and I also factored in the cost about $40-$60 per fish and I decided against it for the time being. Who knows I may give it a go in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Trena,
It could be costly with sub-adult fish but if you start with juveniles the cost is minimal. I usually sell the 1.5" babies for 5.00 ea. with extras.
They do demand a little more attention with waterchanges especially when they are babies. Once adults they're needs are minimum. If you want discus in a planted tank it's best to go with adults. Less feeding and can tolerate more things.

dan

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Thanks Dan... Can you start off with babies in a bare bottom tank and then as they mature switch over to a planted tank? Or would that cause to much stress?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Gulf coast? Of texas? Im hoping to start a discus grow out tank in the future...maybe this summer or fall. Im down here in Corpus Christi and havent found anyone selling quality discus around here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, I don't get an e-mail message when there's new replies to the thread.

Trena- You got the right idea about growing them out first in a BB tank first. Transpering them to a planted tank once grown is not a problem.

Raul7 - As a general rule. 10 gal. per adult fish in a barebottom tank. IMHO in a planted tank it's best to have less fish per gallon to reduce the bio-load. In a planted tank you will be doing less waterchange and less feeding than you would normally do in a barebottom tank.

Sir Blackhole- You're more than welcome to visit.
I recieved my degree from Corpus Christi St. Univ. in the 80's.:)
I lived on Dahlia St. in front of DelMar College.:)
I visit CC occassionally.

Thank you Sudi and everyone.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Dan,

Nice pictures. To receive notification, click on Thread Tools at the top of the thread and select Notification. It gives you options as to when to be notified. Also, when you post, you can select to be notified of replies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Hi Dan

Great pictures!

I am just new to this site and have tons of quesitons re discus and planted aquarium but I think I should probably read some of the threads first.

I have a 45 gal exted hex - extablished about a year and just introduced a dollar sixe discus yesterday. Have not had much luck previously but suspect maybe quality of discus,

Any suggestions - questions would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to reading posts

Meg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi Meg,
Juvenile discus are schooling fish and needs to be in group of 6 or more.

Barebottom tank is the best way to grow them out. water quality is easier to maintain in a BB tank. Juveniles also need more feeding and lots of waterchange. I only have one planted tank. I try to keep a low bio-load with a few adults. It's a 120gal and contains 5 adults. I feed once a day and 30% water 2x a week.

dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.