Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about adding one or two hydor koralia to increase flow in middle/bottom of a tank.... to better disperse CO2 and other nutrients. Tank sizes are 90 and 120g, each with 2 returns at the top. I would probably place them along back wall near corner.
I have never seen one in a FW tank and need some advice on the suggested size.

To those who have used HKs, would you like to have larger or smaller models than you currently have? Also, do you suggest two small models in each tank, say two no. 1 (400gph), or one larger no. 3 (850gph)? Are there any quirks about these models to point out?
thanks, Neil

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just put a #1 Koralia in my 55G planted tank, it has a Fluval 304 as the filter. If I had to do it over i would have bought the #2 instead. When I 1st got it, I thought it was perfect to too much flow but now I think when my plants grow in a #2 would be better(just getting CO2 setup now). I love it, its a great pump that moves a ton of water w/o blowing things over.

Many people use #2's and Rena XP2-3 filters on 55G tanks.

Using 2 smaller ones is always better if you have room as you can direct the water better. I would suggest #2's as a minimum for your tanks but I'm not really sure how much water movement you have currently?

Just to give you info, as I never saw it before ordering mine, on the box here is what it suggests for tanks sizes: FW 1st then SW(just for reference)
Nano: 15-25G, 10-15G
#1: 25-45G, 15-25G
#2: 37-60G, 25-37G
#3: 50-90G, 35-50G
#4: 75-110G, 50-75G

So depending on the footprint of your tanks, the current water movement/flow and if they are highly planted. For single I would get a #3 for the 90G and maybe a #4 for the 110G. For 2 I think 2 #2's on the 110G and maybe a #2 and #1 for the 90G?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I first bought a #1 for my 72 gal and it was much too little. A #3 I got a hold of too much (is this sounding like Goldilocks tasting the porridge? Sorry....), it turned my tank into the interior of a blender with plants almost blowing out of the substrate. in the end a #2 was just right. But for your sizes a couple of #3's might work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm also thinking of adding some in my 110g tank {60x18x24} right now i have Ehiem 2028 filter at 275gph and a Mag 5 close loop with a AM1000 CO2 Reactor,Turbo Twist 3,Hydro Heater but with a Head Loss at 17ft I'm lucky to get 200gph out of my Mag 5, I'm going to upgrade my pump an so far I'm looking at Gen-X55HP or X40 and with a head loss the X55 =850gph and the X40=690gph. So i am looking at 1 or 2 Hydor Koralia Pumps Model 1- 400gph or 2- 600gph?
I just want to move my CO2 around more in my tank with out blowing my plants over

·
Registered
395 Posts
the rating it has can be misleading. i was first thinking about getting a nano and then i saw a #1 in a friends 40G tank and it moves good water, delicately. i decided to go with a #1 in my 45G hex, it has a small footprint being a hex. the suggestions above are good and i would follow what those guys suggest. also, if you have shrimp or small critters in the tank i would suggest putting a media bag over the koralia, saw that in action and it still moves water nicely without making a blended concoction of your small fauna.

·
Registered
534 Posts
the rating it has can be misleading. i was first thinking about getting a nano and then i saw a #1 in a friends 40G tank and it moves good water, delicately. i decided to go with a #1 in my 45G hex, it has a small footprint being a hex. the suggestions above are good and i would follow what those guys suggest. also, if you have shrimp or small critters in the tank i would suggest putting a media bag over the koralia, saw that in action and it still moves water nicely without making a blended concoction of your small fauna.
Delicately, you mean it moves water with out the force full blow of other power heads? I have been looking at the just thought they would be to strong for my 29 gallon, I have a fluval 205 and it needs more. Maybe a one would do the trick.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Delicately, you mean it moves water with out the force full blow of other power heads? I have been looking at the just thought they would be to strong for my 29 gallon, I have a fluval 205 and it needs more. Maybe a one would do the trick.
exactly. it wont uproot your plants or blow them over. for my 29G, I plan on buying a koralia 2 (a #1 would work fine if you arent densely planted). have it on a sidewall blowing along the background wall towards the opposite sidewall. it should help the flow through the deadzone created by the thicket of background plants.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Keep us updated...I bought two Koralia -1's for mine only because I got a deal at $20 each at bhg. My nano crapped out on me about 1 month after using it but seen many people have much better success

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought a nano for my 26 gallon bowfront to replace my penguin powerhead and 2 K1's for my 55 gallon with dual canisters. Can't wait to set them up

Stevie D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are most people mounting these on opposite ends of the tank and at the top of the back pane of glass? Or on both ends of the aquarium on the side glass? Any ideal setup?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Keep us updated...
Really glad I did not buy anything smaller than the HK-2, I think the flow would have been inadequate. Really glad I did not buy anything larger, I think the device would have been TOO large. I think my HK-2 is JUST RIGHT. Everything has just the right bounce and movement. :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just bought a hk-1 for my 29 gallon. It is just the right size and it moves a lot of water. I like the way it gently moves it not like other power heads that move less water with more force. I feel this will do a lot for co2 circulation.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What would you suggest for a 75 gal? 2-#2's, 2-#1's or one of each.
I bought a 1 for my 72 gal and found it was not enough. A friend sold me a used 3 and it turned my tank into a blender! I got a 2 and it seemed perfect. I have since added back a 1 in the opposite corner since as plants grew the 2 did not seem enough. So I suggest a 2 and a 1.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts