Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Colorado and I asked an owner of a fish store if he sold hygro and he said it was illegal in Colorado. I've asked just about every other fish/pet store around if they sold hygro and they don't even know what it is.
any help here?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I had read on another forum that H. polysperma had been placed on the noxious weed list nationwide. I know here in Florida it is illegal to buy or sell it, though easily found in nature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, at least I know that it's not illegal for me to order it online. I wasn't sure how to find out.
But I still find it strange that not a single store out of almost 10 that I've checked with carry any type of hygro.
Thanks for everybodies help.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fsihyfishy,
It depends on whether noxious means the same that "Prohibited" means in Texas. If so I'm guessing that it would be illegal for any store to ship the plant across state lines. In Texas the fine is $2000 per stem. If you have 10 nice little Eichhornia crassipes floating in your koi pond you're liable for a $20,000 fine.

I just visited the new PetCo in Corpus Christi and besides their usual contingent of purple krinkle plants, they had a half dozen Pistia stratiotes ($12,000).

These people are totally clueless.

Steve Pituch

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Polysperma has been a prohibited species in Florida for quite some time. Florida Aquatic Nursery grows it in Florida but to ship to States where it was allowed or overseas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I work at a pet store in Michigan... we can't order the green hygro anymore. One of the suppliers is still selling "sunset", though... thank goodness.

Edit: I just talked to a wholesaler from New York today. He looked at a list of the states that sunset and green hygro is banned in, and Michigan wasn't on it, so I guess it's okay here. The only problem is that suppliers need a permit to ship it... *sigh*

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
From what I have heard from a few LFS owners, the sunset variety was developed and introduced after the regular green variety was outlawed in many areas. I know around here it is legal to buy/sell the sunset but not the green variety. Funny, same plant almost, different color:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.