Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got some in a 10 gallon tank, with RO water, two screw in compact fluorescents, DIY CO2, and Seachem fertilizers.

The stems of the plants I got from a fellow with a high light, high CO2 125 gallon tank are about 1/4 inch thick, but in my little tank, it is growing much thinner, though still very rapidly. It makes H. polysperma look like a slow grower!

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is that emersed or submersed growth? I can't really tell.

Are only the bottoms of the leaves red? Is it the same plant as in Kasselmann?

Thanks for the photo.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Orlando, if that is what came from me, it is just the light doing it.

Put it in low light, it is all green. Throw it under high light, pink.

Here is an old pic of it in a low/medium light 55g:

The very tops of some of the stems I sell are emersed - this thing'll grow straight out the top of the tank, no weeping/bending at all.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the stuff ingg has isn't the 'red' Tropica sells? I assume there would be a significant difference from the usual kind.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I'm not aware of it being a red variety - I bought it from a LFS ages ago. That said, it is certianly red when put under high light.

I just whack it off. If you want it to go crazy, start pinching off lower leaves - itll shoot a new stem from there instead. then take those shoots, plant them, and more stems... that is what you see in the 55g pic from ages ago. You can make fields of the stuff in a coupla months.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not aware of it being a red variety - I bought it from a LFS ages ago. That said, it is certianly red when put under high light.
Hmmm.... The Tropica entry just showed up recently and I'm assuming that it gets much redder/browner that what a lot of us have. The regular stuff can certainly get reddish, but even so. Perhaps they can provide some photos.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Put it in low light, it is all green. Throw it under high light, pink.
Regular, every day corymbosa does that. When I was importing plants, one farm had
"cherry leaf hygrophila", but I think it was the same as what comes out of Florida. Mine only turn red when it is really close to the light. I think the one from Tropica must be different if it has a significant amount of red while submersed. I suspect though that the amount of red even then is not that much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got some from Tropica four days ago, the leaves are much more pointy. But tropica grows theirs out of water, so maybe they'll change to look more like yours? They have really thick stems. They're doing well so far, new leaves are starting to emerge at the tops. I have a 100gal, with CO2 and 2 54w T5 tubes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts