Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hygrophila leaves seem to be melting, Its mainly the leaves at the top the plant, they go transparent then melt away.What could be the reasons for this to happen. I have been adding more phos and nitrate lately but i dnt see how that could be affecting a easly grown plant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The picture above is not the best but you can see the transparent leaves just next to the harliquin on the right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like nutrient deficiency. How are you dosing?
Im using the ei method, i dose heavly on phos and nit (seachem)50 mls of each in 80 gallon tank after a 50 percent water change and 50 mls of each every second day.flousih comp is dose at 15mls every other day and iron is dose every day 15mls.
my tank is 4ft using pres co2 around30ppm ,gh6 kh6 and 3wpg of t5ho lights
other plants seem to be doing fine hes some picts of them.
Red lotus does melt leaves once in a while ,1 leaf every week or 2

·
Registered
81 Posts
How are you adding K? Are you following dosing instructions as per Seachem? If so
how do you know this is EI? A heavily planted tank with high lights demands more nutrients.
Dosing according to Seachem instructions may not be sufficient.
Check with Fertilator to see waht your nutrient levels are.

What fish do you have in this tank?

LAKA

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How are you adding K? Are you following dosing instructions as per Seachem? If so
how do you know this is EI? A heavily planted tank with high lights demands more nutrients.
Dosing according to Seachem instructions may not be sufficient.
Check with Fertilator to see waht your nutrient levels are.

What fish do you have in this tank?

LAKA
When dosing ferts after a water change my k would be 12ppm, that what get from the fertilator , the 12 ppm k is from the flousish phos flouish nitro and the equilibrium they all contain k , i dnt think i need to add more k? is 12ppm of k enough?
would a lack of k cause leaves to melt?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think your right tex girl ,my k is on the lean side and is most probably running out before the next dose, just wondering why i havnt seen more signs of k deficiency in older leaves? and hygrophila would be the last plant i would expect to see signs of deficiency.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've seen this same issue ten thousand times on the forums in 5 years.
The answer is still the same :)

Hygro grows fast, you have an overabundance of light.
Dosing NPK along with TE 3x a week is enough, I would look more
at the C02, you are new and C02 is not easy to get dialed in right.

Many folks are just lucky with C02 for a bit, it all catches up after
awhile and the need for more experience will test you're endurance :)

Look at you're C02 again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do i need more co2? im not getting much algae anymore and my dropper is yellow and my dupla co2 reactor is letting out waste co2 i dnt think it can handle anymore co2, is it possible to have too much co2 would that cause melt?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today i pump up the co2 and the fishes gills are moving a bit faster but none are gasping for air at the surface so they should be fine. Hopefully i see some pearline today as my tank hasnt pearl eversince i started ei dosing.
Just one more questions, what is the toxic level of nitarte to plants?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have grown Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) in the past with no problems at all. As a matter of fact they grew rapidly and were very healthy. Until my most recent batch (30 bunches) which all died. I use Seachem ferts exclusively per their dosing chart. I am now growing Temple (Hygrophila corymbosa v. N. stricta), Hygro, Blue (Hygrophila salcifolia) and Giant Hygro (Hygrophila corymbosa 'narrow leaf') with no problems at all. I am on my second order of the Blue and Giant hygro. My most recent batch of the Wisteria was apparently cultivated emersed as the leaves were shaped differently than what I am use to. They were also purchased from a different nursery. New leaves that formed after being submersed for a while looked "normal". Root stems that had formed were healthy but were not real plentiful. My only conclusion was that they did not adjust well to being submersed.
Any other thoughts on this are welcomed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Belive too much c02 might be causeing it to melt , I have read that plants will take as much co2 as you give them but i dnt belive it, yesturday i crank up my c02 to high levels and it cause more melt than ever leaves falling off and stems going brown.

I will play around with the co2 today and keep the npk and micros at high levels and will let you know how it all goes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
C02 is not causing you're plants to melt.

Keep reading and learning how to grow plants
under water young man :)

It's actually a very primitive approach, we just use some
high tech (some higher than others ie. light) gadgets to aide
in the process.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going by tom barr its a nitrogen deficiency.I gave a extra dose today and the melt seems to be on hold.
Tom is a true plant guru.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts