Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Hygrophila SP. Roraima...

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  John7429 
#1 ·
I keep them in this grow out tank, does anybody else keep them?

See less See more
#6 ·
I have seen this. But they don't even look the same. The leaf margins are totally different looking as well as the petiole having tons of soft hairs with a purple tint.
That being said, I believe they are a different sp. I could be wrong, but from what my own eyes can see they are not the same.
I do have both species in different tanks, and side by side its night and day.

Regards, Orlando

#15 ·
I have seen this. But they don't even look the same. The leaf margins are totally different looking as well as the petiole having tons of soft hairs with a purple tint.
That being said, I believe they are a different sp. I could be wrong, but from what my own eyes can see they are not the same.
I do have both species in different tanks, and side by side its night and day.

Regards, Orlando
I've seen plants in person several times that were supposed to be 'Roraima' and they looked exactly the same as 'Porto Velho'. Do you have something different? Sure, it's possible. I just haven't seen what I consider string enough evidence that that's the case. I'm currently growing a few of these plants emersed so I can get a better idea of what's what. I'm leaning toward the 'Porto Velho' being a Staurogyne (waxy leaves emersed, densely pubescent stems above and below water, etc). More on that later, but if we can work out a trade or something so I can grow yours too, that would be cool.

#7 ·
I like this plant, both for its color and leaf texture and more so for how it grows low and dense.

My 30 is due for a tear down and rebuild, I'm going to have to go off and search for this plant at the local spots.

The write up in the Plant Finder mentions that it is still uncommon here in the United States. Makes me wonder if I'll be successful in my hunt.

Thanks for pointing this out. :D

#14 ·
Mine just forms a very dense carpet under high lighting. I gave all of it to my buddy, and he had it growing in mineralized soil with different lighting, and still grew as a thick carpet.

We'll see how it holds up in my new tank; I will be "re-getting" it early next week. I doubt it will have any problems in the new tank. I will check back with a pic in a few weeks time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.