Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why wouldn't my sunset take on the reddish color it's supposed to, as I have a 1.25 watt per liter and it's more then enough.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Jerime,

That depends on a lot of factors, namely those addressed by fertilization. What are you currently adding? That's a lot of light; any CO2?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the whole works. pressurized co2, with something like 25 ppm, daily basis fertilization, everything..
Here's my tank picture - the hygrophila is on the right (all green...)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Are you sure that's sunset? From my end it looks more like regular H. polysperma. BTW, your tank looks great!

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Are you sure that's sunset? From my end it looks more like regular H. polysperma. BTW, your tank looks great!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's Sunset alright. Just look at the leaves at the bottom of that bush. IME, Sunset turns green when there's little lighting. Does your light have good coverage? Have you tried letting it grow to the top? The closer it is to the light source, the redder it'll get.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes, definitely Sunset.

Jerime, we need to know what kind of fertilizers and in what amounts. All kinds of different factors influence plant color...iron, nitrate, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jerime, since your CO2 is fine, I bet you are running low on PO4. The spot algae (or is moss? doesn't look like it though.) on the back of your glass is too obvious. In order to get intense reds from red plants, you would need to keep every nutrient in good and high amounts except NO3 which should be kept low. The reds would come out nicely but beware when doing that in a very high light tank as nutrients get used up pretty fast and could well bottom out in a very short time.

Regards
Peter Gwee :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your answers.
That is the sunset in the midst of the polisperma. It was a little reddish when I bought it.
I use a local brand of fertilizer (you wouldn't know it)- 5 ml for every 100 liter both micro and macro nutrients.
I have 1.25 watt per liter, KH=8, Ph=7, NO3=15.
In the back it is spot algae which I leave for my cleaners. The problem is that I get spot algae too often on the front glass...
Any connection here?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I get green spot algae on my glass when I get lax in my PO4 dosing or I let m DIY CO2 get too low.

Keep those up and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I don't have anything to add, but wanted to say that it's a nice looking tank.

Am I seeing right that you have Silver Dollars (lawn mowers) in the tank? Wow.... :shock: I've just recently been able to keep some plants in with them when I overwhelmed them with plants, but very few people have found a plant they won't mow down in time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The silver tore apart a potamogeton I recently introduced to my tank. IT took them 1 day (night actually) and the poor plant was out !
Btw, loved the term loan moaner. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts