·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a moderately planted 40 gallon tank with
6 neon tetras
6 celebes rainbows
2 keyhole cichlids (established pair)
1 betta male (not the very long fin variety)
1 banjo catfish

It is a relatively calm tank (no crazy fishes such as danios) and everybody gets along great. I am looking for 2-4 fish that are bigger, attractive, peaceful and occupies the middle and/or the top strata. My dream would be discus but my fish would suffer under the conditions needed by them. I am looking for any advice you. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm a huge fan of gourami. I've heard good things about thick-lipped gourami, which are about 4'' if I remember right. Croaking Gourami are a little bit smaller but have very interesting personalities and make very loud croaking sounds periodically.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm not sure whether gourami's and a male betta is a good idea. They are both labyrinth fish and males can be aggressive towards each other. Especially the short fin varieties of betta's are known to be quite aggressive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure whether gourami's and a male betta is a good idea. They are both labyrinth fish and males can be aggressive towards each other. Especially the short fin varieties of betta's are known to be quite aggressive.
Thanks for the replies. Yep, I am afraid to take risks with a gourami. My betta used to be kept with two golden wonder killies and he was a constant bully, until such time he worked his way into this bigger tank, after all, it payed off for him to be a bully :shock: Also, I suspect he may be more inclined to go after colorful fish. Perhaps a few moonlight gouramis could work? Or a few black angels? Has anybody kept a betta with angels successfully?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
With a betta maybe one of the smaller rainbow fish are more on the safe side, or cherry barbs or something similar. Some livebearers could do the job as well...

·
Super Moderator
5,795 Posts
I have pearl gouramis in my 40 b and love them.

Not to rain on the parade, but at 4" long, I would think that the keyhole cichlids would be the centerpiece species.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have pearl gouramis in my 40 b and love them.

Not to rain on the parade, but at 4" long, I would think that the keyhole cichlids would be the centerpiece species.
Thanks for your reply, Michael. True, the keyholes could be the centerpiece species considering their size however next to the colors of the rainbows, the neons and the betta they are not that much in your face, so to speak. I love them coz they are smart and extremely curious.
I love pearl gouramis. Do you think a betta and 2 pearl gouramis may get along?

·
Super Moderator
5,795 Posts
I love pearl gouramis. Do you think a betta and 2 pearl gouramis may get along?
Bettas are so difficult to predict that I hate to guess. But pearl gouramis, while peaceful to the extreme, are so much bigger than a betta that I doubt they would be bullied. BTW, I was once advised to always keep pearl gouramis in trios, or multiple trios. That is, two females to one male. Watching my fish, the trio seems to diffuse their mild aggression so that no one fish suffers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.
Houseofcards: I love congo tetras but I think they would nip the fins of my betta, unfortunately.
I am probably going for the pearl gourami hoping that they would get along with the betta.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've had pearl gouramis with a betta- they were fine together. Bettas are sensitive to certain motion. While that doesn't make it easier to predict, I've found betta's will NOT be friends with fresh water puffers or shrimp.

I also agree with keeping gouramis in larger groups- I've had several different species and all of them fight very aggressively when it gets to just 2 of them (regardless of sex, it seems).

Angels get big and tall- I have 6 of them in a 65 gal. and kind of regret it. The biggest one is 7" tall from fin to fin tip at a year and half old.

It sounds like you already have a nice group going- I would be tempted to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Angels, angels, angels. I used to have a betta in with my angels a long time ago and they left it alone. Angels are constantly swimming and will occupy the area in the tank you are looking for. They are cichlids, so they have a good personality and are pretty hardy. Can't go wrong with them...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Angels are definitely good for occupying all levels of the tank. And generally they're peaceful. Mine are eating all my foreground plants, though. From what I've read, this is fairly common of them. Something to consider.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts