Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some rotala indica in my 10gal high light/CO2/ferts setup to be an algae buster. Now I just don'e like how it looks and how thick it gets. What is a good alternative to this plant in such a short tank?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bacopa is easier to trim and fast growing but has a bit larger leaves. Small leaved plants are the way to go in small tanks to give a larger then it is feel. Just thin it out and top the rotala when it gets too bushy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bacopa is easier to trim and fast growing but has a bit larger leaves. Small leaved plants are the way to go in small tanks to give a larger then it is feel. Just thin it out and top the rotala when it gets too bushy.
Yeah I realized right after I posted that I needed to thin it way out. I took out almost half of the material. It looks a lot better. I did the same thing with my red ludwigia.

I'm thinking that I need to set up a taller/larger tank. The small size is really difficult to 'scape with.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah I realized right after I posted that I needed to thin it way out. I took out almost half of the material. It looks a lot better. I did the same thing with my red ludwigia.

I'm thinking that I need to set up a taller/larger tank. The small size is really difficult to 'scape with.
Welcome to the addiction :p

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I'm assuming the plant you are referring to is actually Rotala rotundifolia? If so, you may want to look into what is believed to be the real Rotala indica or Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' Since Dennis' picture of this plant is no longer on the site, you'll have to go to the third page of the last link for a pic of this plant. It is smaller than Rotala rotundifolia with rounder leaves and may work better given the size of a 10g tank. You should be able to find planty of pics and info on here if you do a search for Ammania sp bonsai ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like to use hygrophilia polysperma or difformis. I haven't ever sent people plants before, but if you'd like some next time I trim, lemme know, just pay shipping.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like to use hygrophilia polysperma or difformis. I haven't ever sent people plants before, but if you'd like some next time I trim, lemme know, just pay shipping.
I really like the look of the polysperma. Shoot me a PM when you trim. Thanks again!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have some Hygro Polysperma in my grow-out tank as well. One my giant java fern mat from aquabotanic arrives, it'll have to go. I've never sent plants before, but I'd just ask you to paypal the shipping as well. If not, I'll put it on the trade forum here :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts