Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The glossos in my tank have started growing, but I noticed that they are growing vertically instead of spreading out horizontally. Seems like they want more light, so I added another 15 watts to the original 60 watts, a total of 75 watts. The bulbs are Coralife Day-Max Freshwater Aquarium flourescent bulbs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Glosso will spread at 60 watts in a ten, it often starts by growing up then suddenly changing direction and spreading out. I've had 110 watts over a ten before, but I was trying to encourage green water, I knocked it back to 55 when I was ready to end the "green glowing nightlight" effect. The hard part is keeping the green water away when you start getting up there in the 7+ watts zone.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have 45watts oven my 10 and the glosso never grows vertically. It always just creeps along. So far I have not had any trouble lighting wise growing plants, although I have never tried soem of the so called soft water plants that require lots of light, Toninas for example. In this tank my Hottonina palustres grows over an inch a day. To be honest I have been thinking lately of switching my groundcover to a plant that requires a little less light and a lot less maintance. As for your glosso issue, try Greg's advice but also check that the CO2(30ppm) and NO3(>5ppm always) levels are good. HTH:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think that the problem here is Iamthuyduong is thinking that just placing more light over the tank will solve the problem. She has 5 bulbs over the tank. That means she has a very large amount of re-strike. I see no mention of any kind of reflectors. In this case I would guess that 75 watts over the tank actually means around 35-40 at the most in the tank.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I don't have a reflector for mine. I meant to paint the hood white but never got around to it. The bulbs are about 6 months old now too:) I really think their problem lies in ferts. There is another post where I got into that more:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have homemade reflectors. They are shiny, metal sheets lining the sides, the front, the back and the top of the inside of my homemade hood. My fertilization is pretty good, around 5ppm of nitrate, 1 ppm of phosphate. I also add potassium, a little bit of iron and Flourish for micronutrients. Still, the glossos are beginning to grow upward and they are spreading at a very slow speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I say you should give it some times, and you'll have a carpet in no time. I've had nice glosso beds with 3.5WPG in a 10g with no reflectors before. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
My fertilization is pretty good, around 5ppm of nitrate, 1 ppm of phosphate. I also add potassium, a little bit of iron and Flourish for micro-nutrients
Could you be a little more specific about how you dose? Do you mean you maintain 5ppm or that you dose 5ppm and how often. Lets say that my 10 gallon with 45watts and CO2, last week I added 35ppm of NO3 and there was not much left to spare. I dose 10ppm at the wc, 5 mid week and a total of 20ppm more dosed daily at approximately 2.6ppm a day. I also dosed about 3ppm PO4 throughout the week. I still was showing some signs of NO3 deficiency hence the 5ppm added mid-week. A healthy high light/CO2 tank can use 4-5ppm NO3 a day, especially in the presence of sufficient PO4.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Emmersed grown glosso has a tendancy to initially grow vertical. Hack it and it should become a groundcover. Replanting tops is a good method i use... but it takes a long time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dennis,
I dose 5ppm of nitrate, 1ppm of phosphate, 5ppm of potassium, and 10ml of Flourish every 4 days. Too much? Too little? It should be mention that I only have glossos and a small portion of riccia in the tank. I also have DIY CO2 yeast.
-Lam-

side note: Magnus is the one that donated the glossos to me. Thanks Dam.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
lamthuyduong,

Since you only have Glosso and riccia in the tankthere is really no reason to run your water column lean. Lean conditions are usually done to bring out colors, like hte reds of Ludwigia repens. IN this case there is no color to bring out so I would recommend that you try to maintain a bit more NO3 in your tank. Dose 10ppm at the wc and another 5 or 10 mid week. I think you are fine with your PO4 and trace dosing, especially for now. Are you absolutely sure your CO2 levels are good and can you test for NO3? Co2 is probably the most important to the glosso, along with light, so make sure your levels are ~30ppm. If you can test for NO3, try dosing 10ppm after a wc and then test mid week, if the levels are below 10 dose enough to bring it back up to 10. A littel more No3 in this case won't hurt anything. HTH:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts