Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past month or so, I've developed a new waterchange system for my 2.2g and 46g tanks.

The 2.2g nano sits in the bathroom and is open-topped. It currently houses a pair of white cloud minnows. Both of our cats are now using this as their exclusive water source. Every morning they tank up, which drops the level of the water a couple inches. The splashing sound from the little HOB filter is annoying and I refill the nano from the 46g tank.

Once the level of water in the 46g tank gets down far enough that it starts splashing, it's my cue to do a trim and a 25% WC. I don't know what I'll do if the cats go back to drinking from the "cistern of everlasting replenishment" (aka the toilet).

Stupid animals. The funny thing is that they aren't the slightest bit interested in the white clouds.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I don't think cats are stupid. We have three in our house, and they are very cute and surprisingly smart. They can just be a little irritating at times.

Well, they provide you with a reminder to do your tank responsibilities; otherwise, you may forget. Of course, if you REALLY hated it, Bryce, I'm sure that you would have come up with making some sort of top out of polycarbonate or something to that aim.

Frankly, drinking out of the toilet is more disgusting than out of the fish tank, IMO. :D

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
lol, that's what my brother's cat did with the pico tank I made for him - used it as the water bowl. They tried putting 'double-sided' tape around the tank, on the rim of the tank, couldn't get him to stop. Eventually I think they gave in and did 'Top-offs' when the water level dropped - so the cat could get water though, not to keep the tank filled :)

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I have had new driftwood soaking in a rubbermaid container in my tub for the last 3 weeks. In the same tub I have my cat's food and water. I change her water and refill her food. The tub is dog proof. She had now decided she'd rather drink the stagnant tea stained rubbermaid water than her fresh clean drinking water.

I think they do it just to show us who's boss. From where can cats drink?.... from wherever they want! :D

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
At least your cats aren't leaving wet paw smears all down the front of your tank after taking a drink. I have 2 cats that favor my open top 44 gallon tank as a water source. They have to jump up and balance on the rim to drink and then they guide themselves down the front glass with their forepaws before jumping.

One cat likes the water that crept into one window track because the outside drains got clogged. How yummy! Buggy, dusty, slightly green water. Mmmm, mmm good.

In the summertime I fertilize outdoor potted plants and indoor house plants with fish emulsion fertilizer. Everyone (which includes 6 cats and the dog) tries to drink the water that drains through to the trays.

I don't know why they don't get sick drinking what they do. And why did I bother buying a Drinkwell fountain for the little nutcases?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Over the past month or so, I've developed a new waterchange system for my 2.2g and 46g tanks.

The 2.2g nano sits in the bathroom and is open-topped. It currently houses a pair of white cloud minnows. Both of our cats are now using this as their exclusive water source. Every morning they tank up, which drops the level of the water a couple inches. The splashing sound from the little HOB filter is annoying and I refill the nano from the 46g tank.

Once the level of water in the 46g tank gets down far enough that it starts splashing, it's my cue to do a trim and a 25% WC. I don't know what I'll do if the cats go back to drinking from the "cistern of everlasting replenishment" (aka the toilet).

Stupid animals. The funny thing is that they aren't the slightest bit interested in the white clouds.
Maybe its because you keep them well fed so they don't feel the need to "hunt". At least the little critters don't add "nitrogen" to your tank.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My cats did that too. Hey, at least your cat didn't decide he would take his naps on top of a light fixture. And yes, Jack ended up taking an unwanted bath.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
My cats did that too. Hey, at least your cat didn't decide he would take his naps on top of a light fixture. And yes, Jack ended up taking an unwanted bath.
My cat Miriam did that. She jumped up without looking and I'd taken the light and glass cover off for tank maintenance so she belly-flopped into the tank. She had a green mark across her abdomen from the edge of the tank and her entire front half was soaked. She still sleeps on the light fixture but she does pay attention to whether she has a landing spot now. I still laugh every time I think of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Frankly, drinking out of the toilet is more disgusting than out of the fish tank, IMO. :D
Toilets are cleaner than fish tanks, learned that for the PBS kids show Ruff Ruffman. You change the water in the toilet often, an use aggresive cleaners on them you wouldent let near your tank.

As far as cats go, Id rather my wifes spent more time outside. Since we moved here he only feels safe on the balcony, an freaks if anyone tries to get him out the front door an down the stairs. Seems to have pent up enegy from staying inside to much.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Dogs drink from toilets, cats drink from fish tanks.

OK, everyone here, would you rather drink from the fish tank or the toilet? I vote fish tank.....any day of the week!

brion0, if you just moved, I'm sure the cat is afraid.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Put the lid of the toilet down and nobody drinks from the toilet! Really, it's not that hard to turn it into a regular habit. Beats having the dog drink out of it and leaving back-splash all over the seat or the cats drink from it and leave wet paw prints everywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts