Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieve this plant as a freebie about a month ago and I have been growing it but I have no idea what it is if someone could help ID it I would appreciate it.

I know it isn't dwarf sag because I am currently growing that and it grows on runners.

Thanks for any help,
Robert. (bobo31)

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
It looks like Vallisneria americana to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it could be a val not to sure because I have never grown vals. but I am sure that it isn't E. tenellus because I grow that too. In higher light it grows kind of flat like in the photo but in lower light it grows pretty tall.

Robert.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why don't you think its a dwarf sag? Looks very much like
a dwarf sag. It could also be another species of Sag.
It could also be Sagittaria platyphylla

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am growing dwarf sag right now and the two don't really look anything a like in person. They look close but not really.

hmmm. Sagittaria platyphylla you could be right one with this one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Personally, I can't say with much conviction that it looks anything like an Alismataceid (the family that includes Echinodorus and Sagittaria).

The pellucid lines (milk tubes) on the leaf margins, as well as the darker coloration of the outer margins, suggest to me a Vallisneria species.

How much light do you have? I have had Vals grow like that under higher light.

A good way to determine if it is Sagittaria or not is to look at the tips of the leaves and the roots. The leaf apexes (tips) in Vallisneria are usually toothed, and V. spp. have fine roots. Sagittaria have larger coarse ones and are always untoothed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right Error the leaf tips are definetely toothed.

So I guess it is Vallisneria americana. Sweet!!

Robert.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts