Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,169 Posts
A pair of Nanochromis transvestitus would be great and in a tank your size they would have enough space not to kill each other!!! The female's colours are awesome.

Other than that some of the other Pelvicachromis species would be great and are very colourful.

They'll only keep the other fish away from their breeding site. Other than that aggression is just between themselves.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Great choice Bryce. You probably find they manage to breed and raise fry in your big tank, after a few run throughs anyway. The Pelvicachromis species I've bred (incliding taeniatus) have all raised fry in community tanks. NB. most species in the Chromidotilapine tribe have females with more colour than the males, including Pelvicachromis, Nanochromis, Benitochromis and Chromidotilapia. They're all great fish too.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Jan,

Do they make those caves in any bigger sizes? I looked on Aquabid for a minute or two. Most of what I saw looks too small to even hold two of these fish. The females aren't too big, but the males are almost as big as a full-grown congo tetra male.

ed,

Just today I'm noticing a bit of territorial behavior. One female in particular has the most brilliant yellow accents set against a rich, deep purple background. Simply amazing. I'm in danger of becoming a Westie nut.
Just wait mate, you'll be hooked in no time! Completely my favourite group of cichlids, so much better than South American dwarfs! For caves I find coconut shells are great too and easy to find and make holes in. My taeniatus and suboccelatus love them.

In your tank I bet you'll find they all eventually have their own little area and then just skirmish at the border of their territories. Should be a really great display - I'm even more jealous of your tank now... :lol:

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Congratulations! IME they sometimes take a couple of attempts to raise a brood successfully, especially in a community tank, but they will do it after a try or two. Some get it right first time too. The nightlight is a great idea, on for at least an hour or so after lights out it will give them time to put the babies to bed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.